ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a look to Arcimboldo - XVI century

Have a look to Arcimboldo - XVI century

Here it is a quite interesting gallery with pieces on subjects like the four seasons and other subjects like fire, water etc. all painted with stunning most original idea and compositions (considering the age and painter very limited freedom from customers' requests).
    http://milano.corriere.it/milano/gal...02aabc.shtml#1
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hail O Caesar From At Plus the Old Thanks ----E/S

I believe we have one of his works here in the Denver art museum . It's amazing that he wasn't tried as a witch for his imagination. I really like looking at his work.

Dear ATPlus, as a court official painter it was a fuitful activity for him indeed!

Since he was a gentleman he could not be executed as a witch, dear JWitt
    Moreover I think there's often a partially distorted view about Counter-Reformation period (in fact we're here not i the Middle Age or Renaissance anymore in Italy, and painting was already Manierism going towards Baroque). Furtherly Inquisition in Italy was then by far mostly against "heretics" movements in Northern Italy in the Middle Age and and very limited later on and mainly for political reasons, not like in Spain and its colonies. Mass murders on religious ground (and for political reasons) occurred all over Europe in those centuries, England included.
    Finally freedom of expression and paintings in Italy, including those contracted by cardinals and not only by Lords and courts of little and magnificent states, were much more appreciated and tolerated than in Reformation countries in the XV-XVI century and for at least the following couple of centuries.

Thanks for sharing Caesar, really interesting and i love the palette of his works.
    Last edited by AT-TA; 02-08-2011 at 08:51 AM.

You're welcome, dear Anna. Glad You appreciated Arcimboldo's original personality ...

Very interesting site Cesare and I enjoying viewing it, thanks for the link
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Hail O Caesar if you have got time have a look in my IPadlot you will see what
    Happened to me ok. ----E/S

each element seems skillfully painted before assembling into the composition of the bizarre portraits. He certainly had a great sense of humor I think. Apparently he was favored by a prince of Vienna, Austria. and among his contemporaries. It is very odd that his paintings on religious themes did not survive as well as his heads which have always been more popular.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-09-2011 at 08:01 PM.

You're welcome, dear Katie. Glad You enjoyed them. Google search may provide You a more complete overview also of his "serious" works. There's also a lady composed with flowers You would certainly appreciate.
    Here's a gallery: http://www.giuseppe-arcimboldo.org/

OK, dear ATPlus! Don't tell me You did a composition with food, fruit and vetegebles too! Or was You cahnged ito a potato or an old oak wood log?

Thank You, dear Albert!
    As it was the case in those days in Europe for artists, philosophers, scientists, bankers (and adventurers), also Arcimboldo had not national boundaries limiting him. Italy was far from being united but the nationality and language was not a barrier for any European guy, least Italian, to travel, since Latin was the common educated people language and Italian the language of then advanced culture in so many disciplines ...
    He successively worked in Milan, Vienna (where he was received most warmly) and then in Prague in one of its magnificent period to eventually die back in Milan.
    He had influence on some surrealist painters, admittedly Dalž for instance, and dada art.
    Last edited by Caesar; 02-09-2011 at 10:45 PM.