ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy now or wait for the 2nd generation iPad?

Buy now or wait for the 2nd generation iPad?

Im gonna buy the iPad, especially now that AR is available on it... but I am wondering if I should wait for the new one to be released?

The expected benefits are: better screen resolution (like the iPhone4), faster processing (maybe even multitasking), better price (hence better value), and maybe an iPhone type camera which could be useful.

All advice please, what would you do?

Avoid iPad, get a tablet with Windows OS and just install Artrage Studio Pro on it. iPad is for fanboys - just my 2 cents.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Thanks for your input Borilius, but I did as much research as I could manage regarding tablet P.C's and I even joined a forum to learn more

This was my experience; although the specs seem impressive on the Internet, most of these machines have so many problems and (when I managed to actually view one or two of them - the quality of build was shocking ... when reviewers talk about things like 'keyboard flex' for example, I never imagined that with my light touch this could possibly be an issue, yet the whole keyboard seemed to be made of cardboard.

Then some user reviews that I found on Youtube revealed such things as having to re-calibrate very time you use tablet mode and basically I just lost confidence.

I met someone with an iPad and I was so impressed with how it was so slim yet sturdily built, and it just worked easily.
    I had refrained from buying one when they first came out because of all the bad reviews, but now having seen one its exactly what I am looking for; a lightweight, portable sketchbook that does a lot extra that will be handy.

I am quite happy with Windows, and don't have the problems that so many people seem to complain about, but there really doesn't seem to be anything available to suit these needs out there (the Net-book's I saw were horrible and anyway aren't in the same category).

The only thing that kept me from buying Mac previously was the excessively high prices when compared to Windows - but then when you compare the basic quality being offered in both (I am finding very impressive specs being packaged in cheap-and-nasty flimsy hardware that looks like it wont last a year OR I found sturdily built but cumbersome hardware that is on a par with Mac prices anyway. OR I found lots of interesting ideas and options with nothing more than a Web-page in fact and no production in sight.

And now the Mac prices are dropping a bit I honestly cant see any reason not to buy one: they are sleek, well made, and very easy to use.

But I don't want to be disappointed that I didn't wait till the launch of the new iPad... and this is something I find SO irritating with Apple, the wait-wait-mystery of it all. I am just a customer who would like to know what the new specs are to help me make an informed purchasing decision. There are some improvements such as FaceTime which I couldn't give a toss about, but a better screen resolution is something I would wait for... Aaaargh, but I seem to be forever waiting!

Personally I would wait for the ipad 2. It should not be too long now for it to see the light of day.

Not so sure it will have a higher res screen though from what I have read.

I am currently sitting on my imac that i bought three years ago and it is still going strong with no real reason to upgrade other than I would like to. In my windows pc days I upgraded every year to 18 months and my last two pc's lasted around 12 months before developing major problems. I got sick of it all and although I though i may regret the move, I never did.

Cheers

Mike R

I think I would wait. Betcha only a couple of months. I like my I-pad, but they can still get better. (what's a "fanboy " anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
    what's a "fanboy " anyway?
    Well... That sort of depends on the person you ask, or how it's applied. Basically it's used as a term for someone who enjoys something a great deal. For example, if a person only plays videos games made by Nintendo, then that person could be referred to as a fanboy of Nintendo products. The term could be used with a negative tinge to it, though. A person who is really hung up on a something, may try to defend it, regardless of whether there is good evidence to base ones argument on, or not. For example, if a person really liked a specific football team, they may claim that their team would kick your teams butt in the next game, regardless of the fact that their team had not won a single game, and that the opposing team had not lost any games all year. Because the person is hung up on the idea of their team being the best, despite the evidence to contrary, someone may end up calling the person a fanboy, as a jab.

One last example would be myself. I happen to be a fanboy of ArtRage
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Definitely wait till April. The new one has better resolution and front and rear cameras as well. Worth the wait I'd say. The only scary thing is... what if the price goes up?

I guess you could get one now and then buy the new one when it comes out and sell the old one which will still be like new.

personally I really would like one.

Very helpful replies, thank you one and all.

Of course no one actually knows for sure, this is so irritating (and not exciting) about Apple, but several that have forecast do say that the screen res. will be upped to the same as the the iPhone 4 which is pretty good. Another thing forecast is an actual decrease in the price, just like what happened with the Amazon Kindle... hard to imagine with Apple but I have noticed a general decrease in overall prices, so maybe?

However a better screen res combined with a more efficient processor (multi tasking) and a camera are certainly worth waiting for. But I really wish I knew more because if these things are not on the list then it might not be worth waiting for - then I could just get my iPad now which is finally available in S.A

I cant really afford to buy one now and then another one a little bit later - and I cant imagine anyone wanting to buy secondhand iPad especially as the battery cannot be replaced and also you will be devoid of a warranty. Apple products are never cheap, so I guess its safer just to buy direct from Apple and have the guarantee.

Oh, and as to the universal 'fanboy' thing - It is a very off putting and contemptible thing - my experience of fanboys has been that they are pretentious brats, haha... so watch this space and slap my wrist if I run off an become one of 'em
    Last edited by Rowena; 02-01-2011 at 07:17 AM.

I'm holding pennies back until the second one I think... unless some marvelous wad of cash falls in my lap. Then I will probably get one as soon as I can. I think the 2 is supposed to come out in April-July or so.

I've never owned a mac anything, but I'm willing to try. Many people I know and general searching around for opinions are that are musicians and artists especially love them (mac, ipad, ect), finding it to be better suited to the processes they need to do.

I have a laptop tablet (not like the new ones, but a laptop with the tablet function) and while it works decent and is certainly not carboard feeling. It feels bulky at times and slow and far too warm to actually be on my lap without something to help keep the heat off me. Admittingly though, it is a pretty dated laptop.

If PC could come up with something comparable, I would probably go with that first, just because of the learning aspect. I grew up on PC, but I'm not seeing anything that's close to the ipads yet. My PCs and laptops generally last me about five years or so, if I want to keep up with the latest and greated programs sometimes it's a bit faster than that.

I pretty much wait until there is some program that I want to run and can't, then upgrade. I'm fortunate enough to have a husband who has the skills to fix PCs and things, so mine doesn't require the upgrades quite as often and sometimes only a couple parts versus the whole thing.

I played with an ipad a bit the other day and I found it to be much more interesting than I initially though it would be. I've seen marvelous stuff posted here from the ipad folks too. Artrage on a portable type sketchbook without the bulk (big bag full of necessary and possibly necessary items for it) ... sounds like a good deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MagenSparks View Post
    I'm holding pennies back until the second one I think... unless some marvelous wad of cash falls in my lap. Then I will probably get one as soon as I can. I think the 2 is supposed to come out in April-July or so.

I've never owned a mac anything, but I'm willing to try. Many people I know and general searching around for opinions are that are musicians and artists especially love them (mac, ipad, ect), finding it to be better suited to the processes they need to do.

I have a laptop tablet (not like the new ones, but a laptop with the tablet function) and while it works decent and is certainly not carboard feeling. It feels bulky at times and slow and far too warm to actually be on my lap without something to help keep the heat off me. Admittingly though, it is a pretty dated laptop.

If PC could come up with something comparable, I would probably go with that first, just because of the learning aspect. I grew up on PC, but I'm not seeing anything that's close to the ipads yet. My PCs and laptops generally last me about five years or so, if I want to keep up with the latest and greated programs sometimes it's a bit faster than that.

I pretty much wait until there is some program that I want to run and can't, then upgrade. I'm fortunate enough to have a husband who has the skills to fix PCs and things, so mine doesn't require the upgrades quite as often and sometimes only a couple parts versus the whole thing.

I played with an ipad a bit the other day and I found it to be much more interesting than I initially though it would be. I've seen marvelous stuff posted here from the ipad folks too. Artrage on a portable type sketchbook without the bulk (big bag full of necessary and possibly necessary items for it) ... sounds like a good deal to me.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly...