ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Birth of the Grovers

The Birth of the Grovers

I'm calling this done. ArtRage Studio Pro from sketch to finish. In late Aug-early Sep 1951, the F-86 Sabres of the 116th and 92nd Fighter Interceptor Suadrons, USAF arrived at RAF Shepherds Grove, Suffolk, UK to become the first USAF units permanently stationed in the UK since the end of WWII. The airmen stationed at Shepherds Grove from then till the USAF left in 1958 call themselves "Grovers". The painting shows a flyby by the squadron CO and Ops Officer of the 92nd FIS sometime just after the USAF took over the base. Included are an MG TC and a Jaguar XK 120, because......well, fighter pilots like sports cars, so there are always plenty of them on an airbase.

2. Interestingly, when I first saw the picture, after thinking, "Wow, awesome!" I found myself wondering why the scene reminded me of the UK when the planes were clearly American Sabres. I put it down to it looking similar to the covers of some old boys own adventure books and annuals I had as a kid.

Whatever the reason, it turns out they are US jets over the UK, so I think that's a job very well done

Ive been watching this in WIP for some time. Job well done! Its a fine piece!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by HarlequiNQB View Post
    Interestingly, when I first saw the picture, after thinking, "Wow, awesome!" I found myself wondering why the scene reminded me of the UK when the planes were clearly American Sabres. I put it down to it looking similar to the covers of some old boys own adventure books and annuals I had as a kid.

Whatever the reason, it turns out they are US jets over the UK, so I think that's a job very well done
    Thanks for the comment. A lot of that type of magazine featured cover art by Wilf Hardy, a British artist who's always been one of my favorites (along with Michael Turner, another Brit). When I was a kid I subscribed to an aviation magazine called RAF Flying Review that always had Hardy's work in it.
    Last edited by felixdk; 01-30-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
    Ive been watching this in WIP for some time. Job well done! Its a fine piece!
    Thanks Scott. I'm just bummed that it took me so long, worst case of artist's block that I've ever had

That's not artists' block. That is perfection. Beautiful art and the meticulous planning and attention to detail are priceless.

Wow and Bravo! Really great aircraft picture. I am very impressed.

It's a dodgy thing to toss in a question to such a well finished painting, but I have to say (could be my eye only) that the foremost bomb to the left looks a little out of perspective. Owing to your level of skill there's probably a good reason for it. But in the off chance that I'm right, I would suggest that it may be the nature of a wide angle lens to start to distort. To me it looks like it's on a different plane (no pun intended), on a different line, oriented differently than the fuselage. And that may or may not be the case that they did that as a design thing, but it wouldn't make sense aerodynamically. I'm comparing it also to the bomb on the leading wing of the other plane and they both look the same, so. . . not sure. The nose of the bomb could be oriented a bit more up perhaps? Dunno.

Anyway, this is a masterwork! Very fantastic image. Colors and values work great. The surfaces look right and true. It looks like it has great depth of field owing to your containing your values and saturation for the ground stuff, and that they are moving fast. Awesome.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

The absolute best aircraft photo done by ArtRage I have ever seen. The detail done at the photo is beyond fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    That's not artists' block. That is perfection. Beautiful art and the meticulous planning and attention to detail are priceless.
    Thank you very much. I think it might have been obsession , but I'm glad that I stuck it out.