ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watercolor bleed effect

Watercolor bleed effect

Greets all

Had a question and i dont know if this was answered before, maybe i missed it somewhere.

But it is possible to achieve the bleed out effect with watercolors in AR?
    Like how it feathers or viens into the paper texture, also without the help of any other tools? example below.

I've tried fiddling with all the settings but only with watercolor paper texture chosen.

I can understand that to achieve this kind of effect it must require some intense math for the engine to grind.

But all in all, i was just curious

Thanx guys

Mike B
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mbrienza

It won't really happen by itself. It can sort of be mimicked by changing the layer textures Roughness setting while you're working, then going back into the color with a diluted color (adding water). I've attached a study of the image you provided, done completely using this process in ArtRage. I kept to using the Watercolor tool, as much as I could. So I didn't use the Palette Knife at all (which I normally use often with the Watercolor tool), and only used erase as a tool for drying the wet areas of paint (which helps define color edges). Stencils were used to keep the form of the bubbles.

Name:  watercolor study test.jpg
Views: 13645
Size:  45.0 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you Someone

This has been extremely helpful and i loved how you achieved the textures, brilliant.

Mike
    Mbrienza

No problem . I forgot to mention that it also helps to vary the layer textures as well (which can be done separately from the canvas texture). This will create variances in the directions of the paint bleeds. I only stuck to one texture in my example, but I did change it's Grain Size settings, here and there, to give the paint extra areas to flow into.

Not sure if you'd be interested in it, but I've attached the grain I used for the study above to this post (I would attach the .cpr canvas file, but it's to big). It's a picture of my carpet, which I made into a seamless tile for use as a grain texture. I had originally intended it to be used with the Charcoal and Crayon tools, but I think it works much better for the Watercolor tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g7.jpg 
Views:	1851 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	52238  

Mike, what a great style of watercolor. I can see why you would want to paint in that style. She is very talented. Her style really gets the watercolor juices flowing.
    SOS. That looks spot on. Thanks for giving us all a new grain also. Can't wait to try that one.
    Not sure I fully understand how you did it without the palette knife. I will try
    playing around with the eraser and see if I can understand what you are saying about using the eraser.
    This one screams for a video tutorial.
    That was really an amazing reproduction.
    If the original was real watercolor I imagine she must have used frisket to block out the white areas.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-28-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    SOS. That looks spot on. Thanks for giving us all a new grain also. Can't wait to try that one.
    Not sure I fully understand how you did it without the palette knife. I will try
    playing around with the eraser and see if I can understand what you are saying about using the eraser.
    This one screams for a video tutorial.
    That was really an amazing reproduction.
    If the original was real watercolor I imagine she must have used frisket to block out the white areas.

I'll try to throw together a video demonstration when I get the chance. The idea with the eraser is pretty simple though. I turn it's pressure down to 0%. This way, when it's applied with a light touch, it won't remove any color at all. I know it sounds odd, but there's a good reason... You see, by doing this, the eraser sops up the "wetness" of the paint in that area alone, and leaves the paint around it wet. Applying more wet paint to this area will have it react like it's going onto a completely dried surface. Dragging the brush around, and into an non-erased area (thus it'd still be "wet"), allows the paint to bleed again. This is good for when you need a crisp edge of color that bleeds into another color.

yeah that would make a great video to watch the whole watercolor process for sure. what a spot on reproduction that is.

Someonesane,
    I know this thread is a little old, but I just can't really seem to find much info about doing watercolors with Artrage. If you get around to ever putting up the tutorial of which you spoke, that would be AMAZINGLY wonderful, as you clearly have an approach to digital watercolors with Artrage that's working.

Hi Steve,

I had a particular reason for holding off on this tutorial, which I can't really speak about directly. However, since I know there are some other people waiting for it, I'll try to at least put something together showing some of the techniques I prefer to use.

The effect you see is fluid dispersion for one. I hope Art Rage can some day simulate such effects like this and more.