ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West-chapt 28 - To Tell or Not to Tell

Moving West-chapt 28 - To Tell or Not to Tell

A special "Thank You" to Amanda (mannafig), for sharing her tips on how to make these portraits better.
    Thank you so much!
    --------------------

On the third day after being brought to the Newly's farm, Sean, with the assistance of his dear Mariska, made it to the breakfast table. Seeing the surprised looks on Dan and Anna's faces, Sean announced, “If I have to take one more meal in bed, I think I'll go out of my mind! When your rooster woke me this morning, I decided that I was going to eat at the table, if I had to crawl to get here..."
    Anna replied, “well Sean, sit yourself down, and we will see about feeding you enough to give you strength for the next meal..”
    Starting that day, Sean would sit outside on the porch, and take in some fresh air. Each day, he would extend his outdoor visits as his strength slowly began to return. While Dan was working on the farm, Mariska would help Anna with her chores, altho she made it a point to sit and talk with Sean on the front porch during his sessions there. It was during one of those talks that Sean addressed something that was weighing heavily on his mind. Sean had taken a short walk around the outside of the house before sitting down in the rocking chair on the porch. As a thunderstorm appeared to be building in the southern skies, Sean was watching a couple of colorful butterflys dance through the air, when Mariska walked up, gave him a hug, and sat down.
    Sean turned to her and said “While I've been getting my strength back, I've had plenty of time to think. Now that we are not occupied with the immediate concerns of all that goes with traveling down the trail, perhaps it's time for us to take a second look at where we are headed, and what we want to do with our future. Dan has told me that he's not happy with the land here, and is thinking of moving to Kansas or Nebraska next spring. He said that we are welcome to join them, and set up a farm nearby if we wish."
    "Well Sean, is that what you wish to do - farm?"
    " That's the thing, I'm not really sure. I farmed in Ireland, and it's something I can do, but at the same time, I keep thinking of those mountains out west, and what they must look like. I sure miss Dover's stories about the Rockies. To hear him tell it, they are the most beautiful place in the world. Still, what good is that, if there is no way to make a living out there? "
    “My dear husband, ever since I was a little girl in my village, I've wondered about those mountains. One of our warriors went with a French trapper to the western mountains. When he returned a couple of years later, his stories of that land were so completely wonderous... He was so taken with their beauty that many wondered if perhaps another tribes medicine man had
    placed a spell on him. He went back to the Rockies the next year, and never returned. Often I have thought about him, and wondered if he was killed, or just chose to remain.
    However, my husband, you are entirely correct to think of more than just the beauty of that land. Where ever we go, we will need to make a living. Still, we have time, and I am not concerned. We both know how to live off the land, so we can get by until we find what we want to do, rather than just what we must do to feed ourselves."
    This conversation was much on Mariska's mind two days later, when she went down to a nearby creek to try and catch some fish for supper. It was during a quiet period in which the fish were not biting, that she felt things changing around her. First, a hot breeze crossed her face, followed by a chilling wind that made her shiver. Then came a tingling in her toes and fingers, followed by a strange sensation of being light headed. Unable to escape this strange experience, Mariska felt herself being carried away, almost drifting through the redish clouds forming around her... For what seemed liked an hour or more, the red clouds continued to swirl around her entire being. Fearing she would get dizzy and pass out, Mariska tried to close her eyes, but found she was unable to do so.
    Just when she felt she could not possible endure this strange sensation any longer, a strange, yet peaceful feeling of calm enveloped her, as the center of the clouds began to open up.... There in front of her eyes, a vision of the Rocky Mountains began to form, completely overwhelming her with it's majestic beauty. Mariska was seeing with her own eyes, that the beauty described by the Mohegan warrior, and by Dover, was accurate in every detail. Yet, that was not all.... She felt a simple but yet undeniable conviction that this was indeed the homeland in which they were meant to build their new life together in the west.
    Then, in less than a minute, the vision was gone, and Mariska found herself still sitting on the side of the creek, still holding the same cane pole, with nothing but her memory as evidence of what had happened there, or at least, what she felt, had happened there...

As she walked back to the house, Mariska was troubled as to whether or not she should talk to Sean about the vision, if indeed that's what it was... She felt that it was real, and that it was meant to offer them guidance, but what if it was something else? Something that she was unable to understand.... Would it be fair to use it to perhaps lead Sean to go in a direction at odds with his convictions??
    What should she do??
    Was this a vision, or just a dream?

Painted in AR2.5, brush, chalk, marker, roller, spray, tube, knife, and eraser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seam Recovering.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	52181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mariska's Mountain Vision.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	52182  
    Last edited by barnburner; 01-24-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Two wonderful portraits of the protagonists! I agree You dramatically improved Your face paintings, both on features and volume!
    The story keeps all its charm and the new Mariska's prophetic talent seems a most promising new element for their future and safety ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Two wonderful portraits of the protagonists! I agree You dramatically improved Your face paintings, both on features and volume!
    The story keeps all its charm and the new Mariska's prophetic talent seems a most promising new element for their future and safety ...
    Thank you Caesar.. Your kind comments are much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

I love your story Mike, this is wonderful. I like your changes and wonderful details in their faces too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I love your story Mike, this is wonderful. I like your changes and wonderful details in their faces too.
    Thank you dear Sandy.. I so glad you liked it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Again you grab our attention with your great story Barnburner and great paintings too
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Again you grab our attention with your great story Barnburner and great paintings too
    Thank you Coops... Your kindness is very much appreciated..
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Call blimey BB naff got saddle sore took the wrong trail another
    Ten miles before I caught up with u luckly for me that Sean tried to
    Wrestle a bear e must been mad we all know bears don't like to wrestle they just like to be left alone there u are that's life see yuh or chio in my best
    Italien. ----E/S

--------------

Sorry I do not understand English well, but I like your drawing a loooooooot

Quote Originally Posted by navy wavy View Post
    Sorry I do not understand English well, but I like your drawing a loooooooot
    Well, that should not be a problem, since I do not write English very well...

Seriously, thank you very much... I appreciate it!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: