ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West - Chapter 26 - The Kidnapping

Moving West - Chapter 26 - The Kidnapping

As Dover rode away at a fast pace, he remembered her last words and laughed to himself - “yeah, and she wasn't kidding. If those men do come along and cause her a problem, may God have mercy on them, because that beautiful Mohegan won't!”
    Through the rest of the day, and all through the night, Dover rode relentlessly, switching mounts regularly, as he drove himself and his horses, in a race to save his friend's life. About mid morning of the next day, as the trail was about to turn to the right before entering a thick grove of Poplar trees, three armed men pulled onto the road in front of him, clearly intending to rob him. “Pull up thar”, yelled the leader. “Give us your money and your extra horse, and we won't hurt you none”. Few lone men are going to contest three men with their weapons already at hand, so the outlaws had every right to expect that Dover would stop and try to talk them out of robbing him.
    Dover didn't give a damn about what they expected. Nothing was going to delay him from getting help for Sean. Instead of pulling up, or talking, Dover simply shot the leader out of the saddle, clubbed another out off his horse with the butt of his rifle, and sped around the corner while the third man sat bewildered, wondering why Dover hadn't done what he should have.
    A little over an hour later, Dover rode up to the Doctor's home, which also served as his office. Stepping inside, he shook hands with the Doctor, and explained why he had come. The Doctor's response was hardly encouraging. “I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but you really don't expect me to ride all the way out there do you? From what you have explained about his condition, he's probably already dead anyway. Mister, I moved my practice to a larger town to get away from having to ride all over creation to attend to my patients. Here, I have my office, and they come to see me. I'm getting older, and riding doesn't agree with me. I'm sorry, but I cannot help you.”
    Doctor, you are telling me that you are willing to let my friend die, just because you don't want to be inconvienced, or suffer a couple of aches and pains from the trip?”, asked Dover.
    The Doctor rose from his desk and said, “That's a rather crude allegation, but the bottom line is – no – I am not going. Now if you will excuse me, I have some reading to do.” As he turned to sit back at the desk, he froze as the sound of a rifle being cocked echoed in the house. Turning back around to face Dover, he found a rifle pointed straight into his belly.
    Doc, I preferred to do this the friendly way, but, MY bottom line is this – you may be the difference in my friend living or dying. That means you are either going, or when I leave here, you will be dead on the floor. You have a choice to make, and you have about five seconds to make it. What's it going to be”?
    The good Doctor may have grown soft and spoiled, but he had not taken leave of his senses. He knew death when he saw it. “Give me a minute to get my bag and my hat, and we will be on our way”.
    A quick stop at the livery stable to rent a couple of horses for the Doctor, and they were soon on their way. The return trip would be slower, for the Doctor didn't have Dover's endurance, nor did he share his iron clad commitment to save Sean's life at all costs. Between being exhausted, hungry, worrying about his friends, and listening to the complaints and whining of his reluctant traveling companion, this was surely one of the most miserable trips Dover could recall having made.
    Other than the Doctor being kicked in the side as he foolishly walked behind one of his rented horses, when they stopped for water, the trip back was fairly uneventful. He had a nice bruise, and a little pain, but nothing to stand in the way of getting back to the camp.
    When Dover and the Doctor finally rode into the camp, they found Sean not only alive, but actually somewhat sitting up, supported by Mariska. He was battered, bruised, cut, and mostly covered by bandages, but he was alive and taking soup. Sean's voice was weak as he said “Dover, I was getting worried about you. Sure took you long enough. Guess you ain't as young as you used to be.... I figured I was going to have to mount up and come find you.”
    Dover laughed as he dismounted, walked over and shook Sean's hand. “Guess I am getting a little long in the tooth, but then, there wasn't no need in being in a rush, since there was never a doubt in my mind that you would be fine. Seems like a lot of fuss over a little tussle with a bear. Why I remember when I ….”
    The Doctor interrupted, “Hold it. Mr. Dover I'm sure your story is quite interesting, but please save it, while I do what I came out here to do -under threat of my life, I might add.”
    Hearing that remark Mariska gave Dover a knowing look that told him she understood just what he had done in Springfield, and how much she appreciated it.
    After doing an examination of Sean, the doctor told Sean, “Well, you are going to need lots of rest and care, but you seem to be out of danger. Your wife is obviously quite a good nurse. If you come to Springfield, I'd love to have her work for me, except that it would probably mean that Mr. Dover would be in the same town, and our acquaintance has already lasted too long.”
    Mariska shook the Doctor's hand, and said “Thank you for coming. We really appreciate it very much”. The Doctor glared at Dover, and told her, “Well, I really could not do anything but come – even tho it turned out to be a waste of my time.”
    After they had supper, the Doctor told them that he had friends just a few miles down the road not far off the trail, and that he preferred to sleep in a bed, rather than on the ground. As he mounted up to leave, Dover walked over and extended his hand. “Doc, I hope there are no hard feelings. I've been having a pain in my big toe. When we get to Springfield, maybe I'll drop in and let you take a look at it”.
    Ignoring Dover's hand, the Doctor replied, “Mr. Dover, for your information, when I return, I am purchasing a gun and putting it in my office. If you ever walk through my door again for any reason, I will use it.” With that, he turned and went down the trail.
    Returning to his friends by the fire, Dover asked, “Did he seem to be a little irritated to you?”, prompting a healthy round of laughter among the three of them.
    ------------------------
    Done in AR2.5, Pencil, Marker, Glitter, Knife, Tube,
    and eraser. Many layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kidnapping the Doctor.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	51860  
    Last edited by barnburner; 01-13-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

So happy to read that Sean and Mariska are fine, and what a brave friend Dover! Good going Mike.

I don't comment much but I have been keeping up with the story and the story and paintings are outstanding
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

This story is becoming a real Western epopee, dear BB! A very pleasant reading indeed!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    I don't comment much but I have been keeping up with the story and the story and paintings are outstanding
    Thanks Steve. I'm really glad you liked it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    This story is becoming a real Western epopee, dear BB! A very pleasant reading indeed!
    Thank you Caesar.. I have to admit that I never dreamed it would be met with as much favor as it has been, or that it would be awaiting it's 27th chapter!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

You don't get friends like Dover come round very often.
    Fabulous dear Barn
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mannafig View Post
    You don't get friends like Dover come round very often.
    Fabulous dear Barn
    Many thanks Amanda. Very much appreciated!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

I so look forward to each chapter!

Quote Originally Posted by MacPix View Post
    I so look forward to each chapter!
    I am delighted that you are finding it interesting.
    Thank you very much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: