ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: need gestural calligraphic brush strokes...

need gestural calligraphic brush strokes...

I want to find a software that will mimic ink or paint pooling and smearing correctly as if it were real media brushed onto a smooth surface, particularly the look of a brushed-on glaze calligraphic drawing fired on a ceramic jug where areas of the stroke have thinner color and the edges might have more paint, for example. Fingerpainting effect is close to what I'm looking for, also.

Can Artrage do this, and where are specific examples of this effect, please?

Thanks.

(and, I wish I could have posted the link to my image as an example here, but I'm not allowed to)
    Last edited by shokan; 01-12-2011 at 10:28 AM.

If you would like to post an image link, I've upgraded your account so that you can now do this. You can also download a demo of ArtRage Studio Pro from www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html which will allow you to try the software out to get a better idea of whether it will suit your needs.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

here's the image

I can post the link to the image now.

http://screencast.com/t/bkXVd8aFI5t

Anyone have any tips on how to accentuate the brush-stroke effect in Artrage or somehow in post work maybe in Photoshop, or point to some examples that might interest me?

Thanks.

Yes, what I need is possible with Artrage plus Photoshop and a Wacom tablet. See the image links.

http://screencast.com/t/qn6n0FIQ

This first image is a screen capture of Artrage with a white overall widebrush background painted on to fill a square. Into the white, I used the widebrush and black with a Wacom tablet to make the shapes. I used the white underlayer because I wanted more of a smear effect to the black strokes that I applied on top of it.

http://screencast.com/t/I4oMQfaxpS

In Photoshop, I increased contrast a lot to accentuate the brush hair lines, to make black blacker, and also to get rid of some faint brush strokes from the "white" background square I described above (it wasn't pure white). Then using a small diameter Smudge tool, I elongated/shortened and generally retouched brush lines within each shape. I used the Blur tool a little. The second image is the result.

That's it. BTW, I need this to make greyscale drawings to apply to 3D objects in 3D scenes of pottery, similar to the image in my second post above.

Nifty program. I'm gettin' it.

Very cool, great to hear that you're able to get the effect you were looking for!

By the way, if you're using the ArtRage Studio Pro demo, you can also edit contrast in ArtRage via Edit -> Adjust Layer Colors ( allows contrast, brightness, hue and color adjustments ), and blur via Edit -> Blur Layer Contents.

There's also a couple of palette knife types you might find handy, which can be accessed by selecting the palette knife, then opening the Settings panel. These are 'soft' and 'blur'
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design