ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Its not a marshmallow ! :P

Its not a marshmallow ! :P

This is a 30 pound chunk of white quartz i found in the basement when i bought this house, Brought th rock up, scrubbed the dirt off it...and well its quite lovely , its has a zillion facets and almost glows in the sunlight lol...i think ive done a fairly good job of painting it, but i cant capture the 'glow' or sparkle ...and the facetted surface eludes me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by moosie; 01-12-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Smile what is this,hahha

what is this,hahha

as isaid in the text above the picture....
    This is a 30 pound chunk of white quartz i found in the basement when i bought this house, Brought th rock up, scrubbed the dirt off it...and well its quite lovely , its has a zillion facets and almost glows in the sunlight lol...i think ive done a fairly good job of painting it, but i cant capture the 'glow' or sparkle ...and the facetted surface eludes me.

Moosie pity your not showing a photo of the real chunk of W. Granite

it would be interesting to see in all its glory Regards E+

its not a marshmallow its..The Rock...for eighty

I dont have a very good camera..just a point and click lol thats a 2 liter pop bottle beside it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks moosie good of you to have troubled I ve taken camera shots of the three angle's I'll see which comes out best as I would like to draw it
    it would create quite a challenge but at the moment I'm just got studio pro and I'm having trouble with the pencil and to draw the granite with all those different facets would be a nightmare without having control of the pencil, I know that may seem odd to you but I'm in my eighties so it comes hard to pick up on all these new fashion gadget's so bear with
    me and Thanks again regards E+

aww eighty i use studio pro, never lifted a paintbrush nor drawing pencil in my life,,never even doodled lolol Only started painting a few months ago.. i use mouse and hate the pencil lol ive no control of it either
    i'm 60 and shakier than a bowl of jelly somedays

To draw the facets and roughness, think of the rock not as a rock, but look more at the colors and shades all over it. It's not all solid white, but has a bit of blue and grey in it (to my eyes and monitor) I even see a bit of yellow/ off white too

See the shapes they make on the rock and try to imitate those shapes and colors, then add those to your painted rock.

Anything that is one color can be difficult at times. You have a good start though, to me just seems like you need to fiddle with the different shadow play on the rock. Point a light at it and see what sort of colors and shapes. Hope that helps you out!