ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West - Chapt 24 - Bear Attack

Moving West - Chapt 24 - Bear Attack

Mariska and Dover had reason to worry about Sean.
    When he left the camp, he had ridden west down the trail, then up into the hills.
    There, he tied his horse, and proceeded up the hill on foot. As he passed a big rock, Sean saw a bear cub on his left. A warning bell went off in his head, as he recognized immediately that he might be in trouble.
    The cubs mother would be around close, and if she saw him near her baby, her attack would come without warning.
    As he tried to take a step backwards, he was met by an explosion of teeth, claws, and unbelievable strength.
    Before he could do anything to protect himself, a swipe of her big paw tore open the flesh of his chest, ripped his rifle from his hands, sending it flying far out of his reach. Another swipe of her massive claws ripped open Sean's scalp, to be followed by his left arm being torn open in several places as he tried to use it as a shield against her teeth and claws.
    Sean realized that his only hope of surviving this attack was to convince the bear that he was dead.
    The mother had attacked him out of instinct, wanting only to protect her baby. If he could convince her
    that he was dead and was no longer a danger to her cub, perhaps she would move on.
    Laying still and remaining completely quiet, as a bear's teeth dig into your shoulder, and her claws tear your face and arm, is not a job for the faint of heart.
    Somehow, Sean managed to withstand the pain while he played dead. After she tested him with a
    few more bites and swipes from her claws, the Mother bear finally left with her cub.
    Sean lay totally still for what he judged to be at least an hour, just in case she was still around watching.
    If she saw him moving, she would surely finish the job.
    Thankfully, she had indeed moved on.
    Sean's first instinct was to try and crawl to his rifle, but quickly he realized that he was hurt too badly to move anywhere.
    He blinked his eyes, and realized that he had passed out for some time, because night had fallen.
    Sean cursed, thinking of his horse tied at the bottom of the hill. Standing free, he could defend himself against anything smaller than a bear.
    Because Sean had left him tied to a tree, he wouldn't stand much of a chance against a pack of hungry wolves or coyotes, should they come along.
    Summoning all his determination, he made one more attempt to crawl, but to no avail.
    “Well Dover” he said aloud, “right here is where I will be when you come for me tomorrow."
    That Dover would come, was as certain as the sun rising. Sean recognized that Dover was one of the breed often found on the frontier. These men were often rough around the edges, out of place in cities and towns, but always the first to step forward when large amounts of courage were required.
    Question was, would Sean still be alive when Dover found him?
    Whatever fears Sean may have had about dying,were overshadowed by his concerns for Mariska, and his fears for her safety.
    “Mariska, what have I led you into? What will happen to you if you are left alone in this country?”
    Then, he remembered Dover, and his obvious attraction to her. Staring into the darkness in the direction of their camp, Sean reminded himself, “Dover will protect her and make sure she is ok.
    He's not a man to stay with her long, but he will make sure she gets to safety at the very least.
    Mariska is a strong woman. Once taken to safety, she will do well, I have no doubt about that.”
    With his fears for Mariska somewhat calmed, Sean was ready to face whatever fate had in store for him.
    All he knew now, was that he was totally exhausted, and desperately wanted to sleep.
    Sean knew the dangers of falling asleep in his condition, and fought with determination to stay awake.
    Unfortunately, having lost so much blood in the attack, he was too weak to continue the fight against sleep for very long.
    The same Mother bear and her cub came by later in the night. She stopped and looked Sean over, but he never knew it.
    -------
    Done totally in AR 2.5. Brush, Felt Marker, Glitter Tool, Tube Tool, Pencil, and Knife. The one dead tree in the middle background, was done with a stencil I found somewhere .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear Attack.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	51705  
    Last edited by barnburner; 01-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

An awesome story, good job

Blimey. BB. All. I can say is. Corrblimey

----E/S

Quote Originally Posted by javier View Post
    An awesome story, good job
    Many thanks Javier. I sure do appreciate it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Blimey. BB. All. I can say is. Corrblimey

----E/S
    LOL.. Not sure what Corrblimey means, but I'll take it as good.. Thanks Eighty!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Oh my gosh!!! Good thing it wasn't fall and almost time for hibernation and protein cravings. Mike, I am on the edge of my seat here!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Oh my gosh!!! Good thing it wasn't fall and almost time for hibernation and protein cravings. Mike, I am on the edge of my seat here!
    Yeah, I have to get to work on the next chapter, because I'm anxious to find out what happens myself!
    Thanks Sandy. Much appreciated!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Outstanding story and paintings
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by semd74 View Post
    Outstanding story and paintings
    Thanks Steve. Very much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: