ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West-Chapt 23, An Awkward Meeting

Moving West-Chapt 23, An Awkward Meeting

Their long days in the saddle as they followed the Trail of Tears, were matched with very short night's rest each day. Finally, Sean, Mariska, and Dover agreed to stop and set up camp early. They were no more than two days journey from Springfield, but were all in need of a good night's rest, plus, their food supply was almost exhausted.
    Sean grabbed his rifle, turned his horse, and said “Dover, why don't you give Mariska a hand setting up camp, and I'll take a ride up the hills, and see if I can pick off a Deer or a Panther before it gets dark.”
    Sure thing, and after we get it set up, I'll take a walk and see if I can get something in case you don't have any luck. See you in awhile.”
    As Sean rode out of sight, Mariska began unrolling the bedrolls and blankets, while Dover unsaddled the horses and took them to the nearby stream for water. When camp was nearly setup, Dover grabbed his rifle, and took a walk into the woods to see if he could spot some game that might help out for supper.
    In a half hour's walk, Dover had only seen one animal, and that was a deer that was too far away for a guaranteed kill. Had they been desperate for food, he might have gambled on a shot, but otherwise, he was not a man to wound an animal and let it get away only to suffer. If Sean didn't get anything either, Dover figured he could catch enough fish to get them by, so he turned and headed back to camp returning along the river. It was a habit long a part of him never to return on the same trail he left on. It was such a part of his habits, that he didn't even think about it – just did it.
    More than one man had died because a hostile Indian had run across his tracks, and just sat down and waited for him to return.
    As he neared camp, he was startled to see a naked Mariska in the river. Obviously not expecting Dover to return this quickly, or by this route, she had decided to take advantage of her privacy to bathe and wash her hair.
    Almost at the same moment, they spotted each other. Their eyes locked, and for a few moments, neither could speak or move...

Then, without saying a word, Dover turned and walked briskly toward the camp.
    When Mariska returned to the camp, neither one of them made mention of their meeting, but there was an air of awkwardness between them for awhile. Slowly, that feeling melted away borne from their
    mutual concern for Sean. They had been back in camp for two hours, and there was still no sign of him.

Dover started saddling his horse, as he spoke to Mariska. “M'am, Sean should have been back by now whether he had any luck or not. The chances of my finding anything in the dark are slim, but I'm going to go down the road aways and see can I find him, or at least some sign as to where he might be.”
    Climbing into the saddle, he turned his mount and headed off in the direction Sean had gone.

Watching Dover disappear into the night, Mariska felt a chill as a breeze off the stream blew across her neck.
    “Where are you Sean?” she spoke into the darkness. “Why haven't you come back?”

Try as she might, Mariska could not avoid wondering if perhaps something had happened to him, and asking herself what would she do if Sean didn't come back alive. Standing up as she glared at the moon, Mariska pushed those questions to the back of her mind, and resolved to remain positive that he would return. “After all, Sean knows how to take care of himself.. I have to believe he will be back by morning if not tonight.”
    Perhaps an hour later, Dover rode back into camp and dismounted. “I couldn't find any sign of him. This late in the day, I know Sean wouldn't have gone far, but he probably left the trail and went up into the hills, and it's just too dark to trail anybody in that country. I'll be in the saddle at first light, and wherever he is – I'll find him – you can count on that.”
    Thank you Dover... I believe you will find him, and I have to believe that he will be ok,” Mariska answered as she poured him a cup of coffee.
    Yes Ma'm” Dover said as he slowly sipped the hot brew. “why don't you try and get some rest. I'll stand watch. We need to keep the fire burning higher than normal in case he's hurt and trying to find his way
    back."

Mariska nodded her agreement, but responded “All right Dover, but only if you wake me in a few hours. I'll take the watch then. You need to get some rest before morning. You will need sharp eyes and perhaps all your strength tomorrow as you search for Sean."
    With that, she crawled into her blanket and as the sounds of the night
    filled their ears, both Mariska and Dover in their own minds, tried to imagine what might have happened to Sean, and wondered what tomorrow would bring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	An Awkward Meeting.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	437.8 KB 
ID:	51607  
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I start thinking that Sean would better come back soon otherwise we'll have in a short time another chapter appearing in the After 9 Section ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I start thinking that Sean would better come back soon otherwise we'll have in a short time another chapter appearing in the After 9 Section ...
    LOL....You make a good point....
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
    Their long days in the saddle as they followed the Trail of Tears, were matched with very short night's rest each day. Finally, Sean, Mariska, and Dover agreed to stop and set up camp early. They were no more than two days journey from Springfield, but were all in need of a good night's rest, plus, their food supply was almost exhausted.
    Sean grabbed his rifle, turned his horse, and said “Dover, why don't you give Mariska a hand setting up camp, and I'll take a ride up the hills, and see if I can pick off a Deer or a Panther before it gets dark.”
    Sure thing, and after we get it set up, I'll take a walk and see if I can get something in case you don't have any luck. See you in awhile.”
    As Sean rode out of sight, Mariska began unrolling the bedrolls and blankets, while Dover unsaddled the horses and took them to the nearby stream for water. When camp was nearly setup, Dover grabbed his rifle, and took a walk into the woods to see if he could spot some game that might help out for supper.
    In a half hour's walk, Dover had only seen one animal, and that was a deer that was too far away for a guaranteed kill. Had they been desperate for food, he might have gambled on a shot, but otherwise, he was not a man to wound an animal and let it get away only to suffer. If Sean didn't get anything either, Dover figured he could catch enough fish to get them by, so he turned and headed back to camp returning along the river. It was a habit long a part of him never to return on the same trail he left on. It was such a part of his habits, that he didn't even think about it – just did it.
    More than one man had died because a hostile Indian had run across his tracks, and just sat down and waited for him to return.
    As he neared camp, he was startled to see a naked Mariska in the river. Obviously not expecting Dover to return this quickly, or by this route, she had decided to take advantage of her privacy to bathe and wash her hair.
    Almost at the same moment, they spotted each other. Their eyes locked, and for a few moments, neither could speak or move...
    Then, without saying a word, Dover turned and walked briskly toward the camp.
    When Mariska returned to the camp, neither one of them made mention of their meeting, but there was an air of awkwardness between them for awhile. Slowly, that feeling melted away borne from their
    mutual concern for Sean. They had been back in camp for two hours, and there was still no sign of him.
    Dover started saddling his horse, as he spoke to Mariska. “M'am, Sean should have been back by now whether he had any luck or not. The chances of my finding anything in the dark are slim, but I'm going to go down the road aways and see can I find him, or at least some sign as to where he might be.”
    Climbing into the saddle, he turned his mount and headed off in the direction Sean had gone.
    Watching Dover disappear into the night, Mariska felt a chill as a breeze off the stream blew across her neck.
    “Where are you Sean?” she spoke into the darkness. “Why haven't you come back?”
    Try as she might, Mariska could not avoid wondering if perhaps something had happened to him, and asking herself what would she do if Sean didn't come back alive. Standing up as she glared at the moon, Mariska pushed those questions to the back of her mind, and resolved to remain positive that he would return. “After all, Sean knows how to take care of himself.. I have to believe he will be back by morning if not tonight.”
    Perhaps an hour later, Dover rode back into camp and dismounted. “I couldn't find any sign of him. This late in the day, I know Sean wouldn't have gone far, but he probably left the trail and went up into the hills, and it's just too dark to trail anybody in that country. I'll be in the saddle at first light, and wherever he is – I'll find him – you can count on that.”
    Thank you Dover... I believe you will find him, and I have to believe that he will be ok,” Mariska answered as she poured him a cup of coffee.
    Yes Ma'm” Dover said as he slowly sipped the hot brew. “why don't you try and get some rest. I'll stand watch. We need to keep the fire burning higher than normal in case he's hurt and trying to find his way
    back."
    Mariska nodded her agreement, but responded “All right Dover, but only if you wake me in a few hours. I'll take the watch then. You need to get some rest before morning. You will need sharp eyes and perhaps all your strength tomorrow as you search for Sean."
    With that, she crawled into her blanket and as the sounds of the night filled their ears, both Mariska and Dover in their own minds, tried to imagine what might have happened to Sean, and wondered what tomorrow would bring.

Anxious and weary from the stress of agonizing over Sean's disappearance,
    Mariska closed her tear filled eyes, fell into a fast but fitful sleep and began
    to dream. It was as if her spirit then began to move out, up and then away
    from her now still body and take flight above the rugged, uncaring terrain.

Even in slumber Mariska continued to search for Sean, the only man that
    meant more to her than possibly he even realized. As if becoming a part of
    earth's wind forces itself, above the trees, hills and valley she seemed to
    effortlessly glide as she anxiously explored any sign of his presence.

Mariska's urgent pleas seemed to blend, echo and then become part of
    the translucent breezes that, with ardent determination, embraced and
    urged her onward as she called out his name ... "Sean, Sean, oh Sean ...
    where are you ... where are you?" ............................................
    Mairzie Dotes

I like how the story goes, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mairzie Dotes View Post
    Anxious and weary from the stress of agonizing over Sean's disappearance,
    Mariska closed her tear filled eyes, fell into a fast but fitful sleep and began
    to dream. It was as if her spirit then began to move out, up and then away
    from her now still body and take flight above the rugged, uncaring terrain.

Even in slumber Mariska continued to search for Sean, the only man that
    meant more to her than possibly he even realized. As if becoming a part of
    earth's wind forces itself, above the trees, hills and valley she seemed to
    effortlessly glide as she anxiously explored any sign of his presence.

Mariska's urgent pleas seemed to blend, echo and then become part of
    the translucent breezes that, with ardent determination, embraced and
    urged her onward as she called out his name ... "Sean, Sean, oh Sean ...
    where are you ... where are you?" ............................................
    Mary Ann, if you are not making a fortune off of writing, you definitely are in the wrong line of work.... Great stuff! Thank you very much...
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by javier View Post
    I like how the story goes, great job.
    Thanks a lot Javier.. I most definitely appreciate that.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Love how you come up with great story lines time after time and also wonderful paintings too Barnburner. Mary Ann your writing it superb too. Well done to both of you
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Love how you come up with great story lines time after time and also wonderful paintings too Barnburner. Mary Ann your writing it superb too. Well done to both of you
    Many thanks Coops... Very much appreciated!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
    Mary Ann, if you are not making a fortune off of writing, you definitely are in the wrong line of work.... Great stuff! Thank you very much...

barnburner,
    I must aplogize because I became so engrossed in your well written
    continuing tale of love, mystery and intrigue, expertly woven with
    historical facts that I failed to compliment you on your most talented
    ability of composing an ongoing saga to fit, blend, add depth then
    become an intrical part of your expressive works of art. The series is
    quite impressive and well done with chapter 23.
    Mairzie Dotes