ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Stickers vs Stencils

Stickers vs Stencils

I recently had a request for some stickers based upon by tree stencils...

So I read someonesane's excellent tutorial

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...reate+stickers

on creating sticker sheets as I thought I may give it a try but boy seems like a lot of work to create stickers when IMHO creating stencils is a lot easier, especially when they appear to do the same thing or am I missing something?

Is there a video tutorial on creating stickers? Perhaps a video would simplify the process for me....

Cheers

Ken

Here's some 3D renders of trees I created in Vue Studio Pro ver 9... If someone wants to make some stickers out of 'em, fill your boots...

It was my initial intention to create some stickers but the process is way too complicated for me... I spend too much of my time doing technical stuff (IT network support) and what I love about Artrage is how simple it is to do stuff...except for stickers....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oak02.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	51542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oak03.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	51547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oak04.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	51548  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by kenmo; 01-04-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Ken,

SomeoneSane created this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQpi9FsMnJU

~John

hey...what's with the black background? I uploaded these as pngs with a transparent background?

Ok...resized the pngs from 1024768 to 800x600 and they seem fine now...

Quote Originally Posted by vapsman88 View Post
    Ken,

SomeoneSane created this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQpi9FsMnJU

~John
    Much simpler and easier for a dummy like me to follow....

thanks muchly....

I see that Vapsman88 pointed you to the video tutorial I made (thanks Vapsman88 ). If you have a look around YouTube, you will also find some tutorials about Sticker creation by JudithTramayne.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    ...but boy seems like a lot of work to create stickers when IMHO creating stencils is a lot easier, especially when they appear to do the same thing or am I missing something?

I think they're very different. The stencils act sort of like screen printing, where running a tool over them, results in the color being pushed through the screen to leave a mark on the other side, creating a sort stamp-like image of the original. You can see an example of this in points 1 and 2 of my attached image, where I took your first tree image and made it into two types of stencils (one just the imported image, the second, the image made pure black and white). By using different tools and colors I was then able to add in more details to the resulting images (points 3 and 4). By making a sticker out of the image, one can duplicate that image repeatedly and instantly, without the need of duplicating layers. Using the Sticker with the Sticker Spray tool, one could then shift the hue of the original image, scale, rotation, etc. quickly and on the fly (sort of like using the Glitter Tool, but with actual pictures, as in point 5 of my image). More then one of the tree images could be added to the sheet as well, allow for multiple types of trees to be dropped randomly.

It'd say it's easier to create a stencil, in the short run. Though, once a sticker has been created, it can be very quick and versatile to use. Especially when the effect is saved as a preset. Which one a person would want to use, is really a matter of what effect that person is trying to achieve, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treeskenmo.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	51569
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks kindly...that really clears things up.... Sticker sprays sound something like Paint Shop Pro's Pro paint tubes which I never found a use for...as they seemed to gimicky...

If possible I would prefer Artrage to have the ability to create custom brushes like Photoshop or Painter... Not really sold on sticker sprays...

Loved your video tutorial... I hope you do more...

Cheers

Ken

If possible I would prefer Artrage to have the ability to create custom brushes like Photoshop or Painter...

You can actually use the Sticker Spray tool for bitmap brush making, like in Photoshop. There's even an option on the Preset panel (with the Sticker Spray tool selected) that allows you to Import Photoshop brushes (.abr files).

Here are some I made:

Name:	textures1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	51594

And here are some Photoshop brushes I imported:

Name:	textures1a.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	51595

Loved your video tutorial... I hope you do more...
    Thanks
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.