Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage Watercolor Class

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    Barbara Fox is amazing. Thanks for the link. Sorry didn't know yours was an original set up... so I won't plagiarize it, but it was fun to do the study and I learned some new techniques.
    No worries as they say in Australia.

Here is a geometric forms study I did in Watercolor to understand light on forms.

~John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

those are some beautiful washes!!! you did an amazing job on them. was this the same technique? I guess you must use different layers to get such beautiful blends?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-10-2011 at 04:45 AM.

I used quite a few layers and then dropped them.

I used Delicate on Dry with no Thinners for the base colors on separate layers. then I merged down and blended with Hard Out Smudge and Hard Wet Blender. Then I went over it with a Pencil Preset by SomeoneSane My Soft Sketcher in a slightly darker tone than the color it was bounding.

~John

Thanks for the new technique. I will give that a try too. Your watercolor looks very convincing. We did that exact same study with geometric forms in a watercolor class I took and we did it with just the blue paint too.

Sorry to be coming into the discussion a bit late. I somehow overlooked the thread before. You've done a great a great job with your watercolors. I'm happy to see you are exploring the possibilities for using the various presets, such as my Pencil Blender, beyond their initially intended purpose. I hope you are having fun in your classes. It's a shame classes like that weren't really around for me, when I was a student.

Here's my attempt at a pair of watercolor pears, using various watercolor, and palette knife presets, with some Airbrush Spatter Sticker Spray thrown in for texture (something I'd achieve by using a toothbrush to spatter the paint, in natural media).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane, did you mask the pears before you used the splatter brush?

Quote Originally Posted by Docsmith626 View Post
    Someonesane, did you mask the pears before you used the splatter brush?
    If I were using traditional media, I would have masked the area around the pears first, then spattered the pant over them. I could've opted to do that here as well, using the selection tool or stencils, but I didn't bother to. I just created a new layer to work on, sprayed the spatter over the pears, and then erased the excess away.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Well, i thought why not give thie Watercolour Pear Study a try too. So i grabbed my mouse, opened up Rage and applied some heavy bleed, wet on wet and some knife blending.

My watercolour pear study

Goodness, those pairs are breathtaking Someonesane. I would have sworn that was a photo of a watercolor. I'm going to hunt down your Pencil Blender.