Page 658 of 1672 FirstFirst ... 15855860864865665765865966066870875811581658 ... LastLast
Results 6,571 to 6,580 of 16718

Thread: Bus sketch'es 1.2.3.4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
    . . . You know that she's from Canada right? Well Canada is the "New France", The Statue of liberty speaks french... it all makes sense
    That's funny. I'm sure you have the French Canadian vote. . . beyond which there might be just a little resistance. I'm not political about Canadian anything, but when I was visiting Canada for a few months back in 1974 it was certainly something the French Canadians were keen on. They had managed bi-lingual by then with labeling and so on. But some of my Canadian friends were telling me that in France the French weren't so sure that Canadians were speaking understandable French. I found it all amusing because I spoke no French of any kind and it all sounded the same to me. But I'm American and any of them asked would have labeled me as linguistically hopeless despite my having studied Latin in high school and I knew some Spanish by that time in life.

As to the language the Statue of Liberty spoke, I believe it may have been Latin. From what I was able to gather, she was invented by a Roman who was being held under house arrest pending execution by the Emperor. And he, Boethius, being a great scholarly fellow, was describing a vision, something of an invented goddess, the embodiment of Philosophy in his book The Consolation of Philosophy. And I also seem to recall that book became a staple among the universities. And my guess is that book was used as a primer on Latin for those future men of power in the Middle Ages up through when the Statue of Liberty was built by the French. I suppose since she is who she is, she speaks all languages. But likely not just French.

You have to admit, it's a great sculpture. But my opinion is that at the turn of the century, the French Academicians were the best in the world at realistic sculpture at that time.

Oh, and Mr Ploos4, don't feel singled out being rejected. She's way out of my league as well.
    Last edited by D Akey; 02-12-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

It's an amazing piece of art which is undoubtedly enhanced by its size. About the Canada being the "new France" of course it was a joke related to Avril, no disrespect intended

Very nice, can't even tell them apart...
    Being very diplomatic about this, Andrea
    got a kick out of it, and I think you did a great job
    as well!
    Take care,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 02-13-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Ah, dear D Akey, You reminded me of Severinus Boethius, the guy who eventually deserved such a high respect by the Barbarian invaders, later on willing to learn how to rule conquerors and conquered people after the Roman Empire fell (past ones barbarian kings success, like in the case of Laracus or Attila lasted just a short time), that the new dominant class got accustomed to past Empire civilization and people and even started to like them and be willing to become too part of that long history. You're a mine of culture, dear friend, even for us in Italy where decline is progressively chopping the many ancient roots whence our uniqueness and surprising resources come from ...
    Last edited by Caesar; 02-12-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I ain't saying Nuffink ok SLAINTE STATTE BBONE Si Si
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vase and  Fruit.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	79322  

Dear ATPlus, what a still life marvel!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hael O Caesar O Mighty One Yes this not a still life STATTE BBONE SI Si SI SI

Name:	life  sketch.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	79329  

Wow Dear 80++++, remarkable natura morta and splendid "alive" sculpture Watch out 'cause you might be punished for posting the latter one here instead of the after 9 o'clock section STATTE BBUONO. Slainte

I should call this one, I Got Your Marbles Right Where they Belong -- Right In the Palm of My Hand, Oh Aye

I think a spray on tan is in the offing as well.

Excellent paintings, these last two. . . er last one picture is what I mean and the one before as well.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

HI Andy and Cap'n Mac Sorry no time for Chat as I should B in Bed ok STATTE BBUONE Si Si SLAINTE

Name:	M. W     STARTER'S    No  1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	79332