Thread: Georgi

Georgi

Here is the memorial portrait I was asked to paint. Using the airbrush - my favourite tool. Despite the ref photos not being too clear and the colours appearing different in each of the three photos supplied, the owner was very happy.

I also included a small slideshow of the painting at various stages for the owner, to give an idea of the digital process. Some people still think it's auto painting with the push of a button - I know you can do that too.

Name:  GeorgiAR.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  33.0 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

I don't think you know how to make a dear little feline scowl.

Lookin' adorable and that's all she wrote.

Nice one June! The owner should love the "expression".

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Lovely cat

The expression is always the hardest to get, but this looks just right. I so understand what you mean about poor quality photos, and multiple colours! I'm always afraid of the airbrush, simply because it creates such perfect airbrushed looks. Is there a tips you can give me on incorporating it into a digital oil painting? I'm trying really hard, but the more I do the more I realise I know nothing about AR

Hi Kate,
    I'm not sure I'm in a position to give tips on incorporating air brush into oil painting as I don't use the oil brush much. When I do it would be mainly for blocking in and then I would turn to the air brush. The air brush is very adaptable when you move beyond default to presets - either offered by others or making your own.

For example the one shown here below I use almost in every painting and I often combine that with the Noise
    filtre.

Name:  speckles.png
Views: 13
Size:  33.1 KB]

I also use a texture set to overlay blend mode. For Georgi, I used a carpet texture with the opacity turned down, for the fur texture.

Another tool I find useful is the custom brush - look under Artistic - there are a number of bristle brushes which are good for feathers and hair/fur.

I hope I have been helpful, however, judging by what I've seen, you are an experienced artist and it's just a matter of getting to know the programme and you will be off and running.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/