ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: EXTREAMLY upset - urgently need help!

EXTREAMLY upset - urgently need help!

Today when I was working on a very detailed picture that I had almost finished, Artrage crashed. I had saved about five minutes before, so I wasn't initially too bothered. Normally, I would just re open Artrage and load the file again and carry on. Which I could live with.

This time, I re opened the file, and several of my layers were gone. And they weren't even the layers that I'd most recently worked on. Just random ones. The strange thing though, when I look at the preview picture, it's all there.

This was meant to be for an online competition. The judging ends on the 24th. So I would have liked to have it finished a bit before then; but if I can't regain my missing layers, I won't be able to finish it in time, forfeiting any kind of recognition for entering. D:

So please, for the love of all things good and holy, help me get those layers back! There could be some free art in it for you! :3

You should note which version of ArtRage you're using, so the ArtRage team can better help you when they come by. In the meantime, check around your computer for a file called ARRestart.ptg, which is a backup file that ArtRage tries to save when it detects a crash. It doesn't always catch it, but sometimes you'll luck out. It'll most likely be found in an ArtRage folder somewhere in your application data folders (on my system the path is: C:\Users\YouyName\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage 3)
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

If you're on Windows, the ARRestart.ptg file that SomeoneSane mentioned may have been saved when the application crashed. We will need to know which version of the product you are using however.

The preview image is a preconstructed preview. If that is intact but the layers are not, it sounds like the crash happened during save? Could you let me know exactly what you were doing just before it crashed and I will see if there's anything we can do to help with that.

In the meantime, feel free to send the PTG file through to support@ambientdesign.com and we'll see if we can get data out of the layers that are missing (let us know roughly what layers have vanished).

Sorry for the problem!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks guys! I'll try out your suggestions.

I'm using Artrage 3 Studio Pro, on Windows 7. I was just working on a picture and listening to some music on the Last.fm player. Is it possible that Artrage and the Last.fm programs conflict with each other? Because Last.fm crashes a lot when I'm doing stuff in Artrage.
    Last edited by Bluetabbycat; 12-19-2010 at 02:16 PM.

No worries guys! I managed to open a previous version by right clicking the preview and going into properties. I've saved it as a seperate file just in case.
    Sorry about spazzing out! I was just seriously worried that almost three weeks worth of art had gone down the pan!

By the way... Is it possible to cut/copy and paste layers from one version to another?

Thanks again for all the help guys! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetabbycat View Post
    By the way... Is it possible to cut/copy and paste layers from one version to another?
    Yeah. Just select the layer you want to copy, and select Edit > Copy (or use the shortcut keys "Ctrl"+C) to copy the layer. Then open the image you want to transfer it to, and select Edit > Paste (or use the shortcut keys "Ctrl+V") to paste the layer.

Awesome! Thanks again!

Someonesane, I did promise free art in my first post - would you like anything done for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetabbycat View Post
    Awesome! Thanks again!

No problem

Someonesane, I did promise free art in my first post - would you like anything done for you?

Nothing for me thanks, but don't hold back on showing everyone your work. The members of this forum love seeing new images