ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Depth through perspective

Depth through perspective

I recently found a copy of J.M Parramons book "Landscape painting in oils" in a second hand shop and am trying to learn a bit about oil/landscape painting from it. This is my attempt at his painting "The port of Barcelona". Any advice would be appreciated. It was done on 3 layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parramon depth through perspective.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	51129  

hi!
    try using grey/blue for the details of the dock/ships in the far distance. also, judging how the sunlight falls onto the surface of the water in the foreground, i get the impression that the conical shaped structures in the middle right-hand side of the composition could have some reflected highlights. something else.. clouds often stretch diagonally (or at a more oblique angle) across the scene , rather than parallel from side to side. darker at the base (or tinted by sunset/sunrise), lighter on top.

You did this with only three layers?! Well done you! I'd be on at least twice that at this stage in a painting!

There are only two things that jump out at me at the moment.
    First is the sky - frame352 made a good point about the angle of the clouds. Also, your sky looks too uniformly pale. Something to remember about the sky is that the blue gets stronger and darker the closer it is to the viewer (darker blue fading down to pale). Having a bluer sky will also contrast with your clouds, making them stand out more.
    Second is the large boat (at least that's what I think it is) in the mid-ground. It would look more boat like if you added a bit of shading and some highlights to give it a slightly more curved appearance.

The water in the foreground though is excellent. Way better than anything I could do.

Thank you both for your helpful comments. I will bear them in mind in future paintings.

Linear perspective (i.e., things look smaller when they are further away) is one way to bring a three-dimensional quality to a painting. Another is atmospheric perspective (values become more neutral and blue-gray/cool-colored further away) and a third is that close-up objects will show a lot more detail than far-away objects. You've done well to use all of these to some extent, but with that last one ("details") in mind, I suggest that you lose the texture in the sky and clouds but add texture and details to your close-up objects.
    Last edited by marcialsj; 12-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.