ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Zoo Trip

Zoo Trip

A trip to the zoo yielded some nice photographs for me to work from. I was really interested in the strong diagonal palm leaves for the composition. Have to give my thanks to Fashmir for posting his tutorial on glazing techniques. I used it to create the shadow areas.
    Critique and suggestions welcomed...
    Thanks
    Leo
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You definitely improved the background in the painting over the photo.

Interesting how you seem to be creating sort of patterny mosaic like areas of activity. You might do well to go flat or go more dimensional. For flat, think in terms of the shapes that are containing the pattern, and design that.

If you want dimensional representation, then you might want to study bushes a little bit more and painters who do bushes a lot.

Difference between stylization and natural looks. Both are valid. You just seem somewhere between.

You also may want to look to the dimesnion of your water. It doesn't feel wet to me.

Anyway, all that said, I think you succeeded quite well with this pic. Took on a lot, and succeeded in the areas you were paying attention to. You'll get good in the other areas, I have no doubt. You're a fearless painter. I like that.

Good job.

Thanks for the insight D. Flat is what I got, though it was not my intention. I'll take your advice and start looking at good brushwork examples.
    I wasn't all that happy with the water either, but other than throwing in more brushwork trying to imagine reflections I really wasn't sure what to do. I need more practice
    ...and thank you for the encouragement. "Fearless" 8) I like that.

I particularly like the play of light over the bird's back.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Well, that's it. I'm going to lay this one to rest. Here's the final.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i love this, and the dappled shadow of the leaves on the flamingos back is subtle

Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

I like the changes to the water and the bush behind the flamingo!

Good job thinking how the lighting would fall in that spot.

Look forward to seeing more!

Nice painting IdiFraia.
    Old