ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: help please

help please

somethings not right and i cant figure it out.the icebergs dont look right somehow...suggestions??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burgs2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	51028  

I think you have a lovely picture. It has a very frosty feel. Feelings of warmth and cold are not easy to portray in a painting. (At least for me... )

As you said, though, something does seem a bit off. The one on the left seems to be good to me. The shading around the bottom gives it a feel of being a big iceberg that goes deep into the water.

I would suggest going over the perspective of the far right iceberg and the middle small one. The one on the right seems off, which might be throwing the feel off. Try working on the edge lines where iceberg meets water. Also keep in mind that water will have some reflective qualities. Use the process you did the left one with and try to apply it to the the others and I think it will solve what you're seeing.

I got this photo off of a google search, but it illustrates to me the similar qualities you have in the left side. If you look at the right one, it seems to be missing those things.

I look forward to seeing the finished project. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iceberg2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	51031  

Thanks

I think you hit the nail right on the head Magen

Reworked

....and the result....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dear Moosie, Hello, think you're first painting is terrific! maybe the land in the distance might be the problem as is is so much like the color of the bay, you really have the feeling of the iceburgs floating by, but it is hard to tell the blue land background from the water, would love to know if this is where you live, what a sight it must be!!

Thanks

Hi Lee,
    I only wish i lived on the coast, i grew up on east coast of Canada, icebergs were plentiful especially in the spring, then i spent 10 years in eastern arctic..again loads of ice and bergs lol...then almost 30 years in Yukon..just an hours drive from the alaskan coast lolol now i live smack dab in the middle of canada..nearest iceberg is about 2000 miles away..but we can drive to vegas in less than 20 hours lolol

i've never taken an art class nor held a real paintbrush etc. but i do have fun with artrage, theres so much to play with.

Dear Moosie, so i guess you are used to the cold, stay warm and Merry Christmas!!!

I haven't seen iceburgs in real life, but I do have one possible suggestion here in regard to your original drawing. I've been told that 9/10ths of an iceburg is under water, and in your picture if that is true, that river or fiord must be extremely deep to have those iceburgs be 9/10ths underwater. I guess it bothers me a bit to see the iceburgs so big with so much land all around them. They seem more like islands in shape. I think you've done a great job on your foreground grasses, though.