ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: "Reset" button question

"Reset" button question

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but - when i work with some of the tools, let say "Roller" or "Oil", i do change the settings on the fly. At some point i hit "Reset" to get the default setting, but it also changes the brush to the first in the list, so i have to choose the brush again, which is a bit distracting. Is it possible to change this, to keep the brush selected after reset, for the next version of AR Studio Pro?
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

I've been stumbling over that, as well. Especially when I go back and forth between tools, after having hit the reset. For some reason ArtRage will forget which preset group I was in between the switch, and I have to go back and open it. I finally just made myself a "default" preset, lol.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

The reset button resets all your tool's settings. As a preset is a collection of settings, this means that your tool is set to the default values and your previously selected preset is no longer relevant to the tool's current state.

Thanks for the feedback though, it's good to know how people are seeing the tool and preset interaction.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Presets are a common point of confusion so I'll be looking in to them for a future release.

Basically, like Dave says, Presets are just a set of settings applied to your tool. So when you select a 'Drybrush' for example, you're not selecting a Drybrush tool, you're just changing how you are using your Oil Brush tool - In this case, you're not loading much paint on at all and the paint you do load isn't thinned. So when you hit Reset, your Oil Brush tool becomes the default Oil Brush again.

I have spoken to a lot of users who see Presets as completely different tools and that has definitely caused some confusion (particularly in relation to why a preset unhighlights when settings are changed). There are a number of apps that treat them that way - a preset of a given tool is presented as an entirely different tool, but our model tries to turn presets in to 'different methods of using the same tool' instead. It doesn't always make sense (for example, square v. round brush heads!) but we will be looking in to it in the future to see if we can clarify it and adjust the workflow.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It is really awesome that now the preset stays highlighted when just changing brush size. Thanks for that!