ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Merging layers

Merging layers

what annoy me for some time and I finally want to post about it are 2 things about the layers

how can I select multiple layers in the layers-panel??
    example:
    I want to select 10 layers for moving to a layer-group. now I have to move them one by one. if you work only with 3 or 4 layers there is no prob, but when you have 30 or 40 layers the layer-panel is not large enough so I divide them in groups

the other prob that really annoys me is when I want to merge 2 layers or want to flatten the image, the layers jumps back to their "normal" style during the merge with the result that I get a complete different image than the one I was painting with the use of the styles

somebody who can help me and knows the answers??

Thanks

There's no way to multi-select layers currently in ArtRage. We are considering it for a future update however.

Regarding blend modes: The problem you're seeing is probably due to the two layers you are merging having different blend modes. Here's how it works:

1. If the two layers are Normal blend, the resulting merged layer will be normal too, because the paint just sits on top of what's beneath it.

2. If the two layers are the same blend mode, we can merge the paint of both layers directly, then the same blend mode applies because the merged result will appear the same when overlaid on the background.

3. If the two layers have different blend modes, there's no way you can actually maintain a blend mode when they merge, the two layers interact with the background in different ways so you can't merge them without the resulting look of the image changing - Either the blend mode of the top layer will be used, in which case the paint that was on the bottom layer now blends incorrectly with the background, or the blend mode of the bottom layer will be used, in which case the paint that was on the top layer now blends incorrectly with the background.

In case 3, we merge the paint on the layers and revert to Normal as the merged result is designed to match the original result, with blend modes precalculated in to the final pixel values. You shouldn't see a visual change when you merge the layers, but their contents will have changed so that the now blended layer leaves the image looking the same after the merge.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the reply!

Meanwhile, I continued searching
    downloaded version 2.6 again, in 2.6 merging and flattening works as it should be so I did some tests between the different versions with a file to see what the differences are
    and hurray hurray, I've found the solution. The difference between the two versions is that 2.6 creates a painted background in the canvas color as basis when starting a painting, which in version 3 is not. In version 3 the first layer is blanc / transparent
    without the painted background, two layers with a different style merge not with the painted result, also flatten the image gives a different result than what is painted (see attachments)
    with a painted background (first layer) this does work, two layers with a different style merged together gives the painted result without change
    flatten the image with the first layer painted gives the painted result

again ... learned something

I may not forget to paint the first layer before starting a painting

is there a way that it go's automatic when creating a new painting as in version 2.6?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The difference in the two versions of the products is due to the change we made in how the canvas is handled. In ArtRage 2, the canvas was, by default, an inherent property of the base layer. In ArtRage 3, the canvas sits underneath all the layers so no layer has an inherent canvas. This causes some changes in how blending takes place, particularly on merge, but it was implemented to reduce the complexity of managing canvas textures when layers are being moved.

We'll take a look at your example in case there is a bug or something we can suggest to work around it however, thanks for the details!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.