ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Palm Gentleman

Palm Gentleman

Hello, I'm new here . I just discovered ArtRage and I'm super excited about it, however I've never really painted (except for water colors) in real life before. I've usually only used Photoshop, but now that ArtRage can provide me something closer to the real thing I thought I'd give it a try. Much to my demise it behaves in a completely different way and I'm having a tough time trying to get the effect that I want.

The first attachment is the picture I'm working on, the second attachment is a piece by James Jean, which is the effect I'm trying to get.

I've been told that this is a very good community, which is why I decided to come here for help.

Any tips?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi volojo would like to help but learning my self it looks good. Just go for it they will help later.

hey i really like your sketch! very imaginative!

the painting you are using as a reference is built up with layers of underpainting. use layers too in AR.
    Last edited by frame352; 12-10-2010 at 02:33 PM.

That James Jean piece is awesome. Thats the difference between me and my wife Girls are puzzles.

I did a sketchover because I thought your sketch and idea are super cool. I have some screen grabs that I can post if you wish, but heres is what I have so far. Didnt quite capture that wet wash feel of the original. For what its worth- painted the background first on a layer underneath to give a general color feeling. Then layered flesh tones and clothing on a separate layer. Used roller, watercolor and pallete knife a lot. Highlighting worked well with a large felt pen.
    Shadows worked with continual use of roller with one click- without Autoclean option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Palm Gentleman.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	51396  

lol- just looked at the paintover that someonesane did for you- now that was a lesson in how to use the tools. Still it was helpful for me to try something new.

Hello Parel,

Thanks for trying it out it looks great.

Unfortunately the reason why I didn't come back and post my new experiments is because I'm back to the drawing board with Palm Gentleman. A few friends pointed out that the perspective and the scene was just too flat. So I've decided to take a break on this piece and work on other stuff.

I'll be back to continue this later.

what a great sketch!