ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A slight lag at 300ppi

A slight lag at 300ppi

hi everyone,
    I am pretty new to AR and love what i can do with it.
    I chose AR over Painter because i heard Painter is a real resource hog.

With AR Studio Pro i have been working on art at A4 size at 300ppi with 2 or 3 layers. i usually disable the texture paint effect (by pressing F5).

Still, i have noticed a slight lag especially when i push around the oil paint with palette knife.

Is this pretty normal? I understand that AR doesn't have a scratch disk like Photoshop.

I am using a 2007 imac - 2.4Ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb ram
    Thanks

Ed

more mem or better CPU

I have the same problem too.

I just bought Art Rage this morning after testing the demo, which is awesome, and I plan to do a lot of digital graphics (72 dpi, screen sizes).

Anyway, to work for cash, I plan to draw kid book sized at 12 x 16.5 inches, at 300 dpi. I notice the lag. Being a hobbyist programmer, I understand the amount of information that ArtRage need to process.

Still, I need to know this: Which improve speed better: more ram (currently 4 gig) or CPU (currently intel core duo 2.93 ghz).

Oh wait, after reviewing other forum post, I realize that AR is 32bit, therefore unable to address more than 3(?) gig of mem, so faster CPU then? Or should we wait for 64bit version? (my cpu is 64 bit, so is my Win7).

Those of us who do poster size and larger prints are eagerly awaiting a 64-bit version. Since that will require recompiling the program and a fair number of tweaks, that may take a while. Meantime, we make do with slow tools, and occasionally, some pixel-level editing.

i just posted (by mistake) a similar question in the ipad tech section.

i use an early AR version. from Doc's 'poster' info have things improved a
    bit in recent AR versions? i am interested in A3 or A2 artworks at 300dpi.

what is best practise, practically speaking for fast work? better to use
    multi or single layers. avoid certain mediums/tools for image making?

any tips would be appreciated!
    Last edited by frame352; 12-03-2010 at 03:52 PM.

hi

fablefox
    i have heard of artists that work in AR at 150ppi A4 size and then bump it up to 300ppi in Photoshop. Apparently images print out fine and dont suffer from pixelation .
    Would love to try this. has anyone printed resized AR images to a good digital printer?

at present i never work larger than A3 at 300ppi.
    usually its A4 size at 300ppi.

At present both PhotoShop and Irfanview do pretty good bumps, though you may have to do some edge-dressing and artifact hunting afterward. Small glitches become obvious as you size up. Putting some layers "on hold" as exported PNGs until you're ready to bring them in and flatten them can help with resource management.

thanks

many thanks Docsmith626