ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving West-Chapt 16-The Farmers Daughter

Moving West-Chapt 16-The Farmers Daughter

Guess I better "Fess up"..there is no farmer's daughter in this chapter... There is however, a farmer, and over the years I've heard so many "farmers daughter" jokes that I just had to use that title. My apologies to farmers daughters everywhere. (My wife included)...

There is a "R" rated version of the second painting in the "After 9" section.
    The reading lamp is now lit...
    -----------------------------------

Since having to ford three rivers back to back, they have not once had to cross a river in the days that have passed since then. However, judging by the sky, it appears they are in for a wet and cold night, unless they can find a protected place out of the storm. Then Sean heard Mariska yell, “Sean, over there on our right. Isn't that a farm house on the other side of that grove of Maple Trees?”
    Bless you Darlin, and bless those beautiful Mohegan eyes you were born with” answered Sean. “Let's hope they have nothing against the Irish”.
    Unsure of how fast that storm would break, they put their horses to the gallop. Entering the front yard, they pulled up a good distance from the front porch. In the city, it might be common practice to go right up to someone's front door, whether you knew them or not. On the frontier, a stranger that comes charging up to a house, carrying a weapon, might find a rifle ball as his welcome, rather than a friendly “Hello”.
    Sean and Mariska dismounted, with Sean laying his rifle on the ground, on the opposite side of his horse to show his peaceful intent. As was the custom when approaching an unfamiliar house or campfire, Sean yelled out “HELLO THE HOUSE!” “MAY WE TALK?”
    In a few seconds, a man, stepped out onto the porch, and said “What can I do for you”? Sean answered, “I'm Sean Eaton, and this is my wife Mariska. We've come a long way, and have a much longer road in front of us yet. We would like to water our horses, and if you are willing, to spend the night in your barn.
    We would most appreciate being out of the weather with this storm brewing. We have no money to pay, but we will gladly give you a days work tomorrow in return for your kindness.” I'll leave nobody out in the weather, without he gives me just cause, so, by all means, come on up. My name is Ben Dill, and my wife Katie is inside. Water your horses, and put them in the barn for the night. There is hay and grain for their feed, and plenty of hay for your bed tonight. Thanks for your offer of working for your night's stay, but we don't take payment for simple kindness. Better get settled quickly – this storm is going to get ugly soon.”
    As they were taking care of the horses, and getting settled in, Mr. Dill came to the barn. “Darn it, my wife Katie has cooked far too much food. I'd appreciate it if you two would join us for supper. Otherwise, I'm just going to have to feed it to the dogs, and they are getting too fat anyway.”
    Are you sure you are not related to my father?” laughed Mariska..
    That sounds just like something he would say...”
    Katie Dill turned out to be a splendid cook, and Sean and Mariska enjoyed the best meal they could remember having in a very long time. After supper, Mariska helped Katie, while Ben and Sean sat on the porch talking and waiting for the rain to start. Mr. Dill proved to be very knowledgeable on the country around them, and had answers to most of Sean's questions. “Sean, assuming you encounter no problems, in about two days travel south, you will run into the Ohio River. Follow it west until you reach where it empties into the Mississipi River. You will know it when you see it. You have never seen a river that wide. At the junction of the two rivers, there is a new settlement they call Cairo. Stop in the general store and the tavern. There you will find people willing to share information that will be helpful for your journey.
    There is very good farmland if you go south. If your interest is not farming, I'd suggest heading north to St. Louis. Wherever you intend to go, it's probably your best place to take off from. If you intend to head west, or north, you will need more provisions when you leave St. Louis. The town is growing, and you should have no problem finding work to earn the money necessary to buy what you need.”
    Afterwards, Sean and Mariska said goodnight to the Dills, and barely made it to the barn before the storm hit full blast.

Safely inside the barn, they began to prepare their bed of hay and started undressing for the night. Almost as with one mind, both Mariska and Sean realized that since leaving the village, there had not been a single night, where they were not required to give much of their focus to listening for animals, travelers, and those that might be about with evil intentions. Now inside this barn, with the storm blowing, they were finally free to relax and enjoy this night together, with one heart, and one mind. The rain pounded, and the wind roared, but tonight, it was all lost in their love for each other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Farmers Daughter.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	50662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	50681  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-16-2010 at 01:59 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Hi bb I must say you tell a good story thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Hi bb I must say you tell a good story thanks
    Eighty, thank you very much. Much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Looks like lady luck is on their side. Enjoying the story Mike.
    Glad you like the story Sandy... Very much appreciated..
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Yeah, it is the nights like that that give us courage to go through thicks and thins of life...nice reading, Barney and painting to go with it. You are a very good story teller and writer...

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    Yeah, it is the nights like that that give us courage to go through thicks and thins of life...nice reading, Barney and painting to go with it. You are a very good story teller and writer...
    Thank you very much AT... I truly appreciate your kind comments.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

This story just gets better and better and your paintings are great Barnburner
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    This story just gets better and better and your paintings are great Barnburner
    Coops, I am delighted that you are enjoying the story and the paintings. I'm working hard to make them as interesting as I can. Thank you so much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Barney that's some beautiful artwork and the story is great too. All around enjoyable.