ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Coloring B&W

Question Coloring B&W

i was working on a piece in artrage and it started out in black and white and sooooo many shades of gray and before continuing i was wondering if there is any way i can change the colors i.e. if i'm doing a face can i change the color of the skin layer to a tan-ish color without having to re-do the whole drawing?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by sscuser View Post
    i was working on a piece in artrage and it started out in black and white and sooooo many shades of gray and before continuing i was wondering if there is any way i can change the colors i.e. if i'm doing a face can i change the color of the skin layer to a tan-ish color without having to re-do the whole drawing?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sure. There are at least a couple of ways.
    1. Start another layer, over your image and paint with the color you want.

2. If you have more than one layer, merge them together.
    duplicate that layer.
    right click on the duplicated layer.
    click on blend,
    click on more blend modes, and
    select "overlay".
    Then paint right over the original image.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Barnburner, interesting method with the overlay mode! I would have never thought of that

Here are a couple of other ways I thought of. (I'm sure there are more!)

If you are using Studio Pro, there is a Adjust Colors menu that will allow you to add color to a grayscale layer. (Check "yes" on Colorize With Paint Color and increase the Color slider.)

If you need multiple colors on the same layer, you can lock the layer transparency. This will let you color only the drawn parts leaving the white space untouched. You can get some nifty effects this way. (Again, this is only in Studio Pro. And for the iPad version, I believe.)

In all (?) versions, you could make a stencil out of the layer contents and use that as a guide to help you with the coloring.

Hope this helps!
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Quote Originally Posted by terrygillooly View Post
    Barnburner, interesting method with the overlay mode! I would have never thought of that

Here are a couple of other ways I thought of. (I'm sure there are more!)

If you are using Studio Pro, there is a Adjust Colors menu that will allow you to add color to a grayscale layer. (Check "yes" on Colorize With Paint Color and increase the Color slider.)

If you need multiple colors on the same layer, you can lock the layer transparency. This will let you color only the drawn parts leaving the white space untouched. You can get some nifty effects this way. (Again, this is only in Studio Pro. And for the iPad version, I believe.)

In all (?) versions, you could make a stencil out of the layer contents and use that as a guide to help you with the coloring.

Hope this helps!
    Wish I could take credit for the overlay tip, but someone passed it along to me awhile back. (Sadly, I cannot remember who it was - my apologizes to whomever it was).
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Maybe this could help a bit ?
    click here..
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK