ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink pen taper suggestion

Ink pen taper suggestion

Hello

just one suggestion about the taper : it could be great if we could be able to decide if the taper is applied on the full stroke or only on the start or the end of the stroke.
    It can be easy to set on the control panel (don't know if it's possible to add this feature anyway). It could be great to get more control on the shape of the pen strokes
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My portfolio & other things :
    http://www.cedrictrojani.fr

Nice suggestion, I'd like to have this feature too

Useful suggestion, I was thinking along the same lines
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

But why is ink pen tapering a function of line length in the first place? Tapering should be a function of pressure!

I have tried to ink pencil sketches in ArtRage Studio and I have to conclude that it is an impossible thing to do. The ArtRage ink pen is a tool to VECTORIZE an image, it is not a simulation of an ink brush/pen. The result is that the lines are too perfect and that the line doesn't have "personality". The "warmth", the "human touch" is lost because ink pen lines are calculated. It's like ray tracing: beautiful but cold. The ink brush in MyPaint 0.9.0 is absolutely amazing: the ink feels "wet" and responds very good to pressure. I can draw very thin lines with it but also calligrafic lines. I really, really, really, rrreeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would like to see the MyPaint ink brush in ArtRage. The ink pen in ArtRage Studio 3.0.8 is useless for me. (And I bought ArtRage Studio because of the ink pen; should have tried it more thorougly.)

So, here's an idea for ArtRage 3.0.9: add an option to the ink pen settings or the user preferences "use pressure for tapering" or something like that.

Can the developers please respond to our ink pen tapering issues and shed a light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rage Art View Post
    But why is ink pen tapering a function of line length in the first place? Tapering should be a function of pressure!

So, here's an idea for ArtRage 3.0.9: add an option to the ink pen settings or the user preferences "use pressure for tapering" or something like that.

The Ink Pen does, and always has, used pen pressure for tapering.

The addition of the Taper feature came from the need to simulate a taper for the iPad version of the program, because the iPad only detects one touching the screen, not how hard one is pushing on it. They simply added on to the PC and Mac versions for everyone to use. Personally, I find the Taper feature to be quite useful, and the Ink Pen itself an invaluable tool, which I use for a number of different reasons.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane,

I was aware that the ink pen indeed uses pressure. But I just tried again (again and again) to see maybe you're right after all. But nope, I just also tried again in MyPaint and the conclusion is simple: MyPaint does it right (ink brush). I can ink very fine in MyPaint, no so in ArtRage. Take a look at the picture below. I used the ink brush in MyPaint to draw these lips. The bottom lip was drawn with two strokes. Try that in ArtRage!

I also traced some comic book pictures in Inkscape with the calligraphic pen and then CTRL+L to simplify the line and that also gives a pretty pleasing result. So, it can be done.

And yes, the ink pen is an invaluable tool, but I think most users use ArtRage as a paint program, not as a Sketchbook Pro alternative. I would like to see MyPaint with an ArtRage UI or ArtRage with a MyPaint ink brush.

It's good to see an example of what you're looking for, because it clears up a lot of confusion. This doesn't really seem to be an issue of how the Ink Pen tapers at all, now. You're using more of a Sumi style of art, which one would expect to get from a brush, rather then a pen. The Ink Pen was designed to work like an illustration pen, for doing fine sharp lines, which many forum users were asking for, some time ago. It wasn't meant to be used for doing ink washes or blotchy strokes as seen in Sumi type work. I wouldn't mind seeing a tool that comes closer to that style myself, but I would never expect to get there using the Ink Pen. It's just not made for it. The Water Color tool, maybe, but not the Ink Pen.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage Art View Post
    I have tried to ink pencil sketches in ArtRage Studio and I have to conclude that it is an impossible thing to do.
    I don't agree with you. The ink pen is a really good inking tool. I often use it to ink some my sketeches and it works.
    See the picture attached to this message (pilote.jpg). it's just a quick sketch I did to illustrate what I'm writing in this post. It tooks me a couple of minutes and I colored in orange some strokes to show what's done in one stroke. Maybe it's not the tool YOU need but you can choose to get very clean lines with automatic smoothing or choose absolutly no smoothing. you can draw lines with an automatic taper or choose to use pressure (or both at the same time).
    I added another picture (sketchdetail.jpg) to show another very different style of illustration using ink pen. I think I can say that I'm not using mainly Artrage as a "painting" program but mainly as a "drawing" program. I used Sketchbook pro some time ago and I still think it's a very very good program but since i discovered Artrage it's now almost the only program I use to draw bitmap pictures.
    I don't say you are wrong and you can do with Artrage exactly what you do with other graphic programs, as every program has specific tools, but I don't think it's right to say artrage is bad for inking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pilote.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	50838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchdetail.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	50839  

someonesane,

I've never heard of Sumi, but I think my problem is indeed that the ink pen is not the right tool for me.

cÚdric,

do you see what my problem is when you look at the inked image of that old guy with his moustache? It is sooooooo STATIC!. Yes, it is inked very good, it's beautiful, nice, it shows you can draw and ink, but IT'S STATIC. That is what I hate in my inked sketches.

Here's another example taken from Google Images to show what I would like to achieve (c) Franquin:

I think I won't call my drawing "static" but it's your words (I would prefer very clean inking, with a clean style and of course very different from cartoons makers like franquin)
    Anyway, I really think you can achieve a different look. See the picture I attached. i made it within a few seconds and I'm really far from drawing like franquin (which I love the work). it's made using only one size of the ink pen. For sure, it's not REALLY near the results from Franquin, but it's just to show you it's possible to draw very quickly and without any smoothing from the computer. I'm sure someone can do some comics like that with more time and with their own style.