ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West - Chapt 15 River Crossing

Moving West - Chapt 15 River Crossing

It just seemed to me, that this chapter needed two paintings to tell the story. So - it's two for one day!
    -------------------
    This is the third stream Sean and Mariska have had to ford in little more than an hour. Thankfully, the spring floods have not hit yet, so the currents have not been too bad. Sean has lead the way across, with Mariska leading the packhorse, and trying to stay behind Sean, to avoid any hidden pitfalls.

Once across, they move quickly to locate a good campsite for the night. They, and their clothing are soaked, and the water in the streams this early in the year is bitterly cold. With the approaching evening bringing cooler temperatures, it's important that they get dry and warm. With only each other to depend on, every reasonable precaution has to be taken to avoid both injury or sickness. About a half mile from the last river, Sean finds a spot that should serve them well. As he unsaddles and unpacks each horse, Mariska pickets and hobbles them for the night. Moving quickly, Sean locates and drags to the campsite, branches, small logs, rocks, and brush. He piles them up to form a wall behind the campfire so that the heat from the fire will be reflected back on Mariska and himself. As soon as they get the fire going, they change from the wet clothing to dry clothes. The wet clothing is hung close to the fire to dry out, and with the temperatures starting to drop quickly, Sean and Mariska try to get as much warmth from the fire as possible. As soon as the chill is knocked off, Mariska will cook their evening meal, while Sean checks their saddles, bridles, packs, and rifle, to make sure everything is still in working order before they start out again in the morning.
    It will be a short night's rest, and an early tomorrow.
    Both Sean and Mariska go to sleep with hopes of a few dry days travel in their near future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fording the River Chapter 15.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	50509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp version 2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	50510  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-16-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Nice to ideally travel with them, dear BB, even if I had to turn my head for a while when they undressed or, presumably, started warming each other, maybe You put it on a third scene in the After 9. After all, although without formal registrations they're married now!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Nice work barnburner. Well done
    Valerie
    Valerie

Beautiful paintings Mike! You know, I didn't even think about the unpleasant part of being cold and wet, and then having to undress in the cold, I know that was miserable for the both of them. At least Sean made a fire. It would really be rough glowing out there in the dark with deer hunters about. Sorry, I couldn't get my smilies to work. (Joking with you my friend-it is a wonderful story)

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Nice to ideally travel with them, dear BB, even if I had to turn my head for a while when they undressed or, presumably, started warming each other, maybe You put it on a third scene in the After 9. After all, although without formal registrations they're married now!
    Yeah, an "after 9" painting/story came to mind...

Thanks Caesar - much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Nice work barnburner. Well done
    Valerie
    Val, thank you very much. I really appreciate it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Beautiful paintings Mike! You know, I didn't even think about the unpleasant part of being cold and wet, and then having to undress in the cold, I know that was miserable for the both of them. At least Sean made a fire. It would really be rough glowing out there in the dark with deer hunters about. Sorry, I couldn't get my smilies to work. (Joking with you my friend-it is a wonderful story)
    LOL.... Yeah, I thought about that...
    Thank you so much Sandy. I truly appreciate it..
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Barney, the pictures are awesome: your sky is heavenly, colors painterly and knowing who the people in these pictures are,one wishes them wonderfull future together."I too am watching for a light steam comming out of their tent in one of the evenings...may be in the near future? Just joking, Barney.:-) You are doing very well:-).

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    Barney, the pictures are awesome: your sky is heavenly, colors painterly and knowing who the people in these pictures are,one wishes them wonderfull future together."I too am watching for a light steam comming out of their tent in one of the evenings...may be in the near future? Just joking, Barney.:-) You are doing very well:-).
    Well, to be honest, what I forgot to put into the story, was that as they were pulling off all their wet clothes, they got "distracted", and by the time they got back to the fire - it was out. The fire you see in the painting, was the second fire they built.......
    AT, thank you so much for your very kind comments and support. Truly appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

It is always fascinate me how the people, especially Native Americans survive the cold. These people always have my respect for sure. Well painted and the story is keeping us looking forward to the next episode.