ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drawing humans

Drawing humans

I'm having a weird issue of painting the human form, with a mouse. My humans are awful, unless they are traced. Then, I still can't get the tiny details. And the arms and legs aren't right at all. I know, I need a tablet. But despite that, how do you learn to draw the human form? Mine tend to look almost like a lopsided gingerbread cookie. It'll be a few days before I get a tablet. What can you do, to learn to do this, better, with a mouse?

Forget the mouse, if you can't afford a tablet - get a pencil and paper and start doing sketches from life. If you are new to drawing, find some books from Andrew Loomis /as an example/ or best of all, take classes. You can simply sketch on paper, scan the drawing and color it in Artrage. Good luck, and have fun, thats most important!
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Tablet

I can afford an inexpensive tablet, and I imagine I'll be getting one on Black Friday.I can totally see their usage now.

If you can't raise the drawbridge - lower the water.

Rather than trying to draw the human form, why not try painting it from the inside outward. You can gradually shape it to find what you want it to be.
    I've found it easier to paint both humans and animals with this tactic. Sometimes I deliberately make a blob of paint too big, and then just use the eraser to slowly trim it down to a shape I'm happy with.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I've been drawing people at the art academy where I live for 6 years now (after work, not full time) and I still can't draw an anatomically perfect human. Not saying that what I draw isn't good but it sure takes a lot of time to learn. A tablet isn't going to help you. Do what the previous poster suggested, grab a pencil and draw people, every day, for years. Maybe one day you'll get good at it.

Here are some free books by Andrew Loomis on the subject
    http://escapefromillustrationisland....ion-downloads/

I know a few artists on a Flickr group I haunt use "Poser Artist" to assist them with their sketching... Not sure if this program is still being sold... This is not be confused with their sister 3D figure creation app "Poser"... Apparently Poser Artist is geared more towards 2D artist then 3D artists...

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Labs-I.../dp/B00028ZLA4

Humans

Yeah...well...there's so much more in the world besides humans. When I did an Akashic Record Reading on myself, (I'm a certified Akashic Records Practitioner) in regards to drawing....fairies, I can do, spirits I can draw, humans, ugh...I found out that I don't have to draw humans. Spirits and fairies are more ethereal quality. I found an ebook that seems really good, about drawing fairies. I might actually get it. I have pencils and a sketch book. I'm going Friday to get better pencils. among other things.

Thanks

Those books in the links are really good. Thanks so much!! I think I'll try to draw more goth looking fairies. But I still like those pin-up girls, for some odd reason. Practice, practice, practice.

Loomis

And thanks, I love Loomis, and also R. Crumb and Edward Gorey. Those are my favorite human drawings.