ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving West - Chapt 14, Into the Unknown

Moving West - Chapt 14, Into the Unknown

If this were a regular novel, this painting is the one I would use on the cover. To me, it captures the essence of what this series is all about, going forth into the unknown to make a new life. Leaving family and friends, facing whatever comes with only each other to count on.

Actually, I started out to paint a more expansive scene, with Sean and Mariska just outside the village as they left, with the village in the background, and lots of tribal members waving goodbye.
    I painted the horses large, intending to reduce them in size to fit the scene, but when I saw them in the closeup view against the sky, I knew this version was what I wanted.

Into The Unknown

Are you ready for this?”

Sean's question was directed to himself, as much as Mariska. It's one thing to think about what you will do “someday”. It's quite another to be faced with the reality of today, and realize that when you set out on that journey, you will be facing whatever the unknown brings, with only each other to count on.
    As winters go, this one proved to be better than most. There were some bad snowstorms, but they also had several warm days, allowing the men to hunt. Game was scarce, but thanks to what meat they were able to bring in, the Mohegan people endured less hunger this winter than normal.
    As the Mohegan warriors had been out in the surrounding country in all times of the year, Sean eagerly sought their advice. One thing they all agreed on - “Do not wait too late in the Spring to go. You will have streams to cross, and when the spring floods hit, you may find yourselves stranded, having to wait days, or weeks, before you can cross.”
    Mariska's father gave them a horse to use as a packhorse. He argued with great sincerity, that the old Mare was too old to be of any service other than as a packhorse, so he was giving it to them. Mariska looked into her father's eyes, laughed, and kissed him on the cheek... “You my father, are a liar, but we accept your gift and relieve you of this weighty burden of this useless horse.” she said with great affection.
    All the goodbyes had been said last night at the celebration of their journey. Now they have stopped just outside the village,for a look at the sky offering both great promise and without a doubt, great dangers and sorrow.

In answer to Sean's question, Mariska answers confidently, “Of course I'm ready. Where you go, I go. Our fate awaits us out there. It's our future and we cannot have it unless we go forth to take it. Whatever the good and whatever the bad lie ahead, they are ours to face, and we will face them together.

And so, they went.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Into the Unknown - chapter 14.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	50416  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-16-2010 at 01:36 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

this painting is the one I would use on the cover. Barn it is wonderful.

But Barney, where they were going? Once you are leaving, you usually know where you want to arrive. Or did i miss something.
    Painting is really captivating...i love the whole atmosphere. And i can feel the pain in Mariska's heart, leaving the security of her own tribe. Been there, done that... and it hurts ...sometime forever.

I love the way you wrote about the "useless horse". Actually, such custom was very Asian at one time until the money and capitalism invaded.
    Mother who is 84 years old still gives things away that way

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Very good Mike, looking forward to another adventure!
    Sandy, thank you very much. Very much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    this painting is the one I would use on the cover. Barn it is wonderful.
    Thank you so much Oriane... I very much appreciate
    your generous comment.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    But Barney, where they were going? Once you are leaving, you usually know where you want to arrive. Or did i miss something.
    Painting is really captivating...i love the whole atmosphere. And i can feel the pain in Mariska's heart, leaving the security of her own tribe. Been there, done that... and it hurts ...sometime forever.
    I suppose I should have made that clearer before now.
    They have no definite destination in mind, other than generally - west. Because of his experiences in Ireland and again in Boston, Sean wants to go somewhere where he and Mariska can make a future for themselves based on what they do, not where they came from, what nationality, race, etc..
    Probably falls under the category of "They will know it, when they find it".
    Thanks so much AT.. Very much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    I love the way you wrote about the "useless horse". Actually, such custom was very Asian at one time until the money and capitalism invaded.
    Mother who is 84 years old still gives things away that way

Well done.
    Good to hear that background..
    Giving people something they needed, under the pretense of having no need for it,etc., was something I grew up with, so the idea came to me naturally.
    Thank you very much Jasmine.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Very, very well done!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes