ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Quick Landscapes

Quick Landscapes

Hello all
    I was dabbling with the roller tool and wet blender and put these quick sketches together.

I had 2 questions.

I was wondering if my color and field of depth are executed properly. I'm trying to teach myself a sense of proper scale without looking at reference photos.

and also what is the best way to put a landscape together?
    Is it

1. background
    2. middleground
    3. foreground

in that order or or vice versa? Depends on the way you feel comfortable i
    guess. eh?

Many Thanks
    Mike B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	50379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	50380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	50381  
    Mbrienza

Picaso, firstly, I like the three paintings that you posted.

Now as to your question: This is how Julie Shoemaker works a landscape.

"...Starting in the background of your picture first paint the sky. If the horizon line is two-thirds of the way down the canvas, I paint the entire two-thirds with my sky even if most of it is covered with trees and shrub. This way when you paint in the trees you can leave negative space and the sky will show through. You can add clouds if you prefer now. One mistake beginners usually make if that they use pure white and they make the clouds small like little cotton balls in the sky. Mix white or white gesso with some color like blue, purple or brown. This makes a nice gray cloud. Be careful though, a little of these colors added to white goes a long way. You can always add a second layer of clouds using pure white now.

Now you can lay in the land. You can do the next few steps in layers by sloping the land one way and then the other a few times until you reach bottom of the canvas. First use a burnt or raw sienna to create an under-painting. Next if you want a grass look, dry brush in a dull green. The reason you are dry-brushing the green is because you don't want to completely cover up the sienna. Allow some of the dark to show through. It should appear to be shadows. When you are done you can add some brighter green in the same manner to create highlights.

Now add some trees. Use a liner brush with some of the sienna color. Add a little blue to it and gray it down. Trees in nature are rarely brown. The most distant trees will be much smaller and have less detail. If it's summer, then dab in some green for foliage. If you want to get real creative, use the same colors and dry-brush in some shadows."

Here is how Vjatcheslav Palatchev does it. There are many other aspects. But I think you will receive further collaboration from other artists.

i like the 3rd picture very much Picasso. great color toness and nicely abstract.

Generally, I follow the Background, middleground, foreground theory.
    I paint the sky first, and I do it from top to bottom, because when I start out, I often don't know where I'm going to put the horizon.
    Because I use layers a lot, I will sometimes stray from that theory. Sometimes I will do clouds early, sometimes I will wait until near the end, so that I can judge how they are going to look as a finished product. I've found that when I paint the clouds early, sometimes my best clouds end up being hidden by mountains, trees, etc..
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I'd like to suggest that you might want to use three layers, one for the foreground, one for the middle ground, and one for the background. That way you can work on any one of them without bothering the continuity of any of the others. You can alter the opacity on them or turn them off completely (click the eyeball) and you can shuffle the their order so the one you are working on is presently on top but later can be placed underneath the others. A lot of times I will start painting my center of focus and then add the background later on another layer. It is such a joy not to have to worry about painting over foreground objects when you are doing the background. On the other hand, there are times when I will finish up with a "new layer" on top of everything else where I paint touch-ups on any details I may have missed before, kind of a catch-all layer. You can then save all the layers in ArtRage format, you can blend all the layers or even just "export" to a jpg or tiff format. You've got lots of great colors in your artpieces here, so once you get a hang of layers, I'm sure you will appreciate them a lot and come up with some wonderful stuff.
    Last edited by marcialsj; 12-28-2010 at 12:39 PM.

I usually start a layer that has the focus on it and then fill in the foreground and background depending on how important they feel to me. I use several layers and will even add a layer to test something if I'm not sure that I'd like it or not.

Pretty much anytime I get something finished that I like, that layer gets locked down and a new layer gets put on top. If I need to blend a couple layers I will merge then blend them as I see fit.

I like all of your paintings. They are very good.