Thread: portrait

Gallery
    View images

portrait

hi, please.

this is dificult. to get the shadow write. not sure how it came about. nose is too long.

comments, ideas, please.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    oh--subject is meant to "be" Tom Waits.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Joel,
    What tool did you use? I've had some success with the crayon because it blends nicely. The brush tool always leaves lots of stray marks for me.
    Did you use a reference image or paint it out of your head? Having a reference works wonders for getting the right proportions, colors and values.
    One more suggestion: Step back from the monitor every once in a while and try looking at your image from a fresh perspective. Some artists will use a mirror (not sure if ArtRage will let you flip the image horizontally). Mistakes caught early are easier to fix.
    Keep painting.
    Leo

Gallery
    View images
    hi,

thank you. I used mainly brush and knife, but for the shadow i tried a bit of everything, except crayon. i will look at crayon in the future.

i used a reference image but often referred to imagination instead, not wanting to exactly mimic the photo. As far as proportions and colours go, I wouldn't (or simply couldn't) stay true to the photo.

Gallery
    View images
    Well, for the portrait I did, (in the critique section) I started off with a freehand drawing from the photo and I'm not ashamed to admit it, when I had to make some minor adjustments to the eyes, I put the original picture up as a tracing image. With gobs of paint err.. crayon there's still plenty of room for imagination and creativity. The old masters used all sorts of crutches. why shouldnt' we. :wink:

Gallery
    View images
    I really like the stylization. I wasn't able to put my finger on who it was, but once you mentioned 'Tom Waites', it clicked and I thought 'Of course!'

And his style of music fits that sorta fifties lounge look you have going there. It's not like the harmless goofball Bill Murray lounge singer -- the other kind -- seedier. Feels a bit 1930-50's deco to me.

I like it a lot. You got the drawing part pretty well, but you may look to your color and/or values. Go for a good finish to it.

Very fun. Thanks for the look through your eyes.

Gallery
    View images

Tom !

Hi !

I instantly saw that it was Tom waits!
    I looks like his in like a shady bar after some hard drinking.
    And... to me, that´s tom waits in a nutshell.
    /Mads

Ps! see you around !

Gallery
    View images
    hi.

thanks for your comments, guys. well appreciated.

Art Rage is fantastic! Thanks to it i can begin to learn about painting without spending the fortune that i don't have, even though some of my old-school artist friends aren't warm to the idea of pushing pixels around a screen.

Gallery
    View images
    I really like your style of this. It looks great. You don't have to paint like everyone else. I think your style is just cool. Keep it.
    jmho,

Gz