ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A challenging subject

A challenging subject

I have such and admiration (and envy ) for Peter's talent and skills, especially on seascapes, and I wa so impressed by its last one, that I decided, although on a quite reduced size sheet (around 850x650), to give a try after reviewing some of his tutorials. I then followed only an old one about sea (but I had to furtherly work on it to get a decent effect) since the other one was on mountains rather than closer rocks.
    I'm not that satisfied .... anyway here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A challenging subject.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	50144  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I like the small, fine dots on the rock, how did you achieve that dear caesar?

Thank You, dear Jasmine.

Explanations

I followed old Pete Pickneys's instructions from a couple of past tutorials for the sea. They were for AR2.5, where the soft blending knife worked differently, so I didn't achieve what I wished on AR3. I think we would require an updated tutorial by him, looking at his seascape uttely stunning marvels!

As for the rocks I proceeded instead with a personal approach to emphasize their grainy texture tones.
    I used three layers and sensibly thinned oil strokes on a pencil drawing base. Actually I was not able to avoid to make a little mess not keeping each layer separated as a scope and, to certain extent, used tool.
    I added pencil traits (often in a higly tilted setting) and low pressure chalk to get shades and grains as and where appropriate (considering the different tonal areas), with compatible color and different tonal values on the upper layers too and blended them here and there with delicacy and in the right directions. I reintroduced grains if some place they were missing because of blending. That's it!

Caesar, it is very nice and that rock is fantastic

Thanks so much dear Caesar for expalination on painting the rocks. Appreciate it dear friend.

Thank You, dear Sandra! Not the right season to take a bath though.

So we may say that rock ...rocks for You!Thank You, dear Pat!

You're absolutely welcome, it was my pleasure, dear Jasmine!

Fine job Caesar.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I think it is very good Caesar.... and your horizon is straight...mine is always crooked ...pleasant scene.

Thank You, dear Barnburner! Just an experiment I pushed to a complete view ...

Dear Anna, curiously straight lines are easier with the mouse and a sensible zooming (to reduce I mean) of the sheet. You then have a shorter and firmer leg for Your wrist to make. Thank You!