ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Critique

Gallery
    View images

Portrait Critique

Hi,
    I'm trying to get my painting skills up to snuff. I really want a shot at some illustration work. I've experimented with ArtRage for a couple months now, this is the first piece I'd consider finished. It took me about 5 hours over several days of work.
    I started out with a gray underpainting and then added color on a separate layer. I mostly used the Crayon tool for the facial features. I couldn't get the brush to blend well enough.
    Any suggestions and a critique would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Leo
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    Yowza - stunning stuff!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Haha... careful that's my wife.
    Looking back, I think I strayed too far with the brush. Those wispy strands in front of her face are awfully gimmicky. :cry:

Gallery
    View images
    Nice painting.

I would take special care with the hair. I don't know if it shows on your monitor, but you have some blocky variants of black in her hair on our side of the head. They don't conform to the rest of the picture and as such it looks like you missed a mistake. If such rhythmic patterning was something you used throughout the picture it would be a stylistic choice on the part of the artist.

Any quirk in a picture can be exploited if it looks like it belongs. Some people push it and design a picture based on such elements, and as a result have a really cool style.

The bangs? Doesn't bother me all that much as long as I see this as a painting. The regularity of the parallel hairs makes it look computer generated. If you like that look it's fine. It's certainly not offensive, but it does stand out against an overall hand painted look, where whispy hair would perhaps do better.

The head is really nicely painted. She is very pretty to be sure.

How did you come to choose keying the pic to mint green? It feels coldish. to me. Were I doing it, at this point I would put it into Photoshop and adjust the colors to warm it up a bit. . . but that's me.

Shows you have skill.

Thanks for letting us meet your lovely better half.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments D. Don't worry about offending me though, I'm posting in the critique section because I really need someone to slap me around a little bit and make me see the mistakes I'm letting slide :wink: I've got thick skin.

I will take the picture into Photoshop to adjust the colors. They bother me too. I fancy myself a "colorist" especially when it comes to portraits but I just had a difficult time with the color picker. Nothing more experience won't cure. But I'm also going to post a suggestion to make the hue slider longer if there isn't one already there.

PS my wife hates the painting, but she liked your compliment.

Gallery
    View images
    wow i think it came out amazing :!:

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy
    Thank you everyone...
    Here's the update
    I fixed all sorts of details but the biggest difference came with the background change. Hopefully it's not as acrid as it once was.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images

even better!

i thought you did a great job on the first one but the revised version is even better! the changes you made to it really enhanced the painting. keep it up!

Gallery
    View images
    That's such a fantastic portrait. Brilliant stuff.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Absolutely stunning! Breathtaking. I too thought the first one was good,
    and then the helpful critique and then the new one is amazing. Beautiful portrait!

Gz