ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen & Ink

Pen & Ink

Hello all,

I'm new to ArtRage & the forums so I don't know how much this has already been covered, but what do people like to do for dip pens? (Crowquill, etc.) It looks like the Gloop pen comes the closest. Any tips to share? Thanks!

The perfect tool for this is already in the name of your post - it's Ink Pen
    Here's my example what you can draw with it (and that one is a very quickie, you can go further and do far more complicated pictures with it!)
    Go search forums for more examples

(you can also try Felt Pen)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASUKA.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	459.5 KB 
ID:	50142  

excellent drawing Null. I have asked help on this subject as well. I wondered what settings you used for the ink pen and was it 3Pro?

Yes, I have a Pro version of AR3

I usually use Ink Pen with following settings:
    0-10% Pressure, 100% Aspect
    0% Rotation, 100% Opacity
    60-100% Smoothing (depends on the line I want to do)
    Blend Mode: Normal
    Square head Off, Antialias Edge On
    25-50% Size

If I'm correct, there's no Opacity and Blend Mode in Studio version, but they're not certain, as you can see
    Also in a 3.0.8 update a Taper Length setting appeared, which is also great for drawing cartoon/manga characters or other inking (no sure if it's presented in Studio, but it should be)

I haven't updated yet-need to. I still struggle with the pen. I will jot your settings down and give it another go. I primarily use it to repair an edge right now. Thanks for helping me too.

Thanks Null (and that's a beautiful drawing), but I was thinking more of a steel nib pen. It bleeds and scratches a bit. I felt the ink pen setting looks a bit too clean. I'm looking for something which looks like traditional pen & ink, not a manga look.

I was looking for something more like the gloop pen, but a little more consistent. Anyone have any luck with this?

Quote Originally Posted by rikki View Post
    Thanks Null (and that's a beautiful drawing), but I was thinking more of a steel nib pen. It bleeds and scratches a bit. I felt the ink pen setting looks a bit too clean. I'm looking for something which looks like traditional pen & ink, not a manga look.

I was looking for something more like the gloop pen, but a little more consistent. Anyone have any luck with this?
    Sorry for misunderstanding)
    If you are worried about inner opacity of Gloop Pen, then... you don't have to
    You can set the inner fill to be non-transaparent
    Here's the example of a Gloop Pen preset "Liqiud Flow" with different types of canvas textures
    I hope that's what you are looking for =)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for all the examples, Null! I need to do more experimenting with canvas types, those are some interesting lines, a lot more organic.

I've got the liquid flow on the gloop pen & I raised the pressure to 100% to get a more consistent line, but when I take the line weight to where I want, it gets too fine to lay anything down really, and the bleeding gets a bit out of control (I might have a go at drawing in a different scale).

I guess I was hoping there was something between the Ink Pens and the Gloop Pen (Ink pens are too vector-y, and the gloop pen is a bit too wild!) I've taken the smoothing off some of the ink pens & I'm messing with those some more. I haven't really explored all the art brushes in the sticker mode yet either.

This is probably because of the auto-flow switcher (like the Airbrush tool has), which the Gloop Pen doesn't have
    You should make a suggestion for it here and, probably, Ambient Design guys will implement it

Like Null mentioned, the Gloop tool may work well for you. Another alternative, similar to the Gloop Tool, would be the Water Color tool. Something else you may want to look into, is the Felt Pen. With the right settings, the line it makes will react well to pen pressure, and the edges of the marks react to the paper grain.

Here's a side by side comparison of the same image inked with the different tools (I'd recommend looking at the full size version of the image, here):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	felt_vs_ink.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	50214
    Last edited by Someonesane; 11-12-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.