ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The wide pencil illusion of Peter Pinckney or artrage outer limits

The wide pencil illusion of Peter Pinckney or artrage outer limits

If you have tried the pencil trick...you can post your results here. If you like... or not. It could be fun.

for ar 2.6

1. download the canvas preset called black and smooth for ar 2.6
    for ar 3.0 download the canvas preset called new black and smooth
    2. place the preset in your canvas presets folder
    application support>artrage 2>resources>presets>canvases (for artrage 3 of course use the artrage 3>resources folder)
    3. use Peter's pencil settings for ar 2.6 Make sure precise is set to Off. set pencil size at 500 click on the size window to enter in the larger size of 500
    precise off, tilt 88, softness 67 pressure 36
    4. right click on the first layer and choose edit paper settings or you can access it from the upper menu
    5. choose the black and smooth preset for your canvas or for ar 3.0 use the new black and smooth preset
    6. use chalk set at 6% pressure and size 500 and fill in some wide bands of color on the first layer it should be smooth if you use the black and smooth canvas setting I made.

7. now duplicate the layer... right click on the first layer and choose duplicate layer and set the blend mode of the new layer to difference ( right click on the blend mode window where it currently says Normal and choose other blend modes and choose difference
    8. Now with your pencil make some strokes on the second layer with Peter's pencil settings for ar2.6 users or ar 3 users can use the magic pencil preset updated to reflect new settings.
    note: ar 2.6 users cannot load presets for tools >only for canvases and canvas sizes

note: ar studio does allow modification of user presets so it should work just fine to place .prs files in your pencil tool preset folder or any other tool preset folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-09-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: found Peter's instructions.

here's mine using ar 3 studio pro. also you can download the canvas setting for ar 3 studio pro called new black and smooth and the pencil tool preset called magic pencil
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-09-2010 at 10:03 PM.

3. I don't know why yours looks so much smoother than mine, I tried to follow the instructions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-11-06 06jpg.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	50055  

oh I love yours Emily. They look so velvety! It's great. So you used the full version of Peter's tutorial then with the chalk and the layer mode? I should probably get a link up to the full version with the layer blending mode set to difference and chalk on a separate layer.
    do you perhaps have the metallic slider setting on in your color picker?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-08-2010 at 12:11 AM.

5. No, I followed your instructions with the pencil and the preset you attached and 0% metallic. I don't know. I'm just a freak I guess I've had some gin and it's past 2am (or only 1am with daylight savings), so I'm not swearing to anything about my settings

Peter Pinkney's directions are here. A more technical version but very cool results also.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=31918

Peter Pinckney says: Thanks all.................OK try this..........new picture,smooth paper,black background colour,take the chalk and scribble all over in many colours,duplicate the layer,set the blend to difference (don't panic when it turns to black that's what you want),now choose the pencil,set the size to 500% (yeah that what I said)and
    set pressure to 70%,precise off,tilt angle to 88% and softness to 82%..............start to draw (NOT EASY!!!)
    Hit control Z as many times as you want.......I do!
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-08-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily848 View Post
    No, I followed your instructions with the pencil and the preset you attached and 0% metallic. I don't know. I'm just a freak I guess I've had some gin and it's past 2am (or only 1am with daylight savings), so I'm not swearing to anything about my settings
    You may have ingested some gin, it may be two o'clock, but more likely I probably messed up the instructions and I am too tired to go over them so there are Peter's. Tomorrow is another day. We will get it sorted out, but yours is very cool anyway. oh, oh I just thought of something. go to canvas settings and make sure your roughness slider is set to zero. that should do it.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-08-2010 at 12:36 AM.

8. OK, I sifted through Peter's complicated technical instructions and then couldn't stop with the pencil

Name:	2010-11-06 07.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	50057  

That's great! This technique must have been made for you... it suits your shapes really well. congratulations on this last one! great stuff. It's really gorgeous.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-08-2010 at 02:14 AM.

10. Thanks for the encouragement! I did another one at a larger size and am going to sleep now

Name:	2010-11-06 08 smaller.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	472.4 KB 
ID:	50062