ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Importing files dpi problem

Importing files dpi problem

I've spent ages making a set of stencils for an art project I am doing. I am trying to import complex images created in a program called Dogwaffle as they have a great smear tool which provides just the effect I need, but every time I import a file at say 250 dpi the program seems to convert it to 72 dpi, rescaleing or editing the picture size does not seem to improve the quality. I must say I feel particularly dense about dpi in general, despite looking into it all in some detail. Trouble is I have to import the finished work into Adobe Illustrator, working between programs like this is a bit of a nightmare for me, maybe its my age! Is the Pro version a better bet, I am working with version 2 on a Mac, cheers Richard

DPI here doesn't really mean that much, it's just a note to your printer to tell it how large the image should be in physical dimensions. The digital size of the image (pixel width and height) is unchanged on import so there will be no loss in quality. Until you go to print, DPI doesn't do anything unless you specifically change the print size of the image.

The current version of ArtRage 2 (2.6) should maintain the DPI setting stored in the image however so if you update to that version it should solve the problem. If you are using 2.6 and the DPI value isn't coming in, could you send one of the images to support@artrage.com and we'll check to see what the situation is.

If you have imported an image and the dpi value isn't set to your original one, you can use 'Rescale the Painting' in the edit menu:

1. Select that option to open the Rescale panel.
    2. Make sure the Units selected for Width and Height are Pixels.
    3. Change the DPI value.
    4. Press OK.

Note that when you change the DPI value, the Width and Height pixel values remain identical - This is because as I noted before, DPI doesn't really mean anything until you go to print. Changing the DPI value here means that you have kept the image exactly the same dimensions in pixels, so there will be no loss in quality, and you have told it that when it prints those pixels will print out at a certain number per inch of paper.

ArtRage Studio/Studio Pro take a different approach to presenting this information which makes it a bit clearer but that should help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Importing files and Studio Pro

Thanks very much for that Matt, suddenly I get the picture! I have now purchased Artrage pro and I must say I am glad I did. It really is a great program, some of the effects I am producing are blowing me away.
    Once again many thanks for your kind attention and for producing such a great product,
    Regards
    Richard