ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing visibility of layer slows program down

1. changing visibility of layer slows program down

When I make any layer either visible or not visible then after that my strokes are sticky; i.e. the cursor freezes for a half-second after every stroke or when I press undo.

If I close ArtRage and open it again then it goes back to normal, but it takes about five minutes for my computer to save my work, close, and re-load the file, so it's pretty inconvenient.

I'm going to try to remember not to change layer visibility unless I plan on closing the file. I just noticed this problem today after I uploaded the new version, so I'm guessing it wasn't happening before but wouldn't swear to it.

Can you let us know:

1/ The specs of your system ( processor speed, RAM, OS, free disc space )
    2/ The size of your image in pixels and the number of layers

If you restart ArtRage, then create a single layer document of the same size, add one layer to it, then hide that layer and try painting on the base layer, do you see the same behavior?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

3. OK, I tried it with the default canvas size (1280x770) and no problem, but when I went to 4000x4000 and tried per above (created new layer, made second layer not visible, went back to base layer to draw) then the issue did come up.

Sorry, I'm not a computer expert, but here's the info from my control panel:
    MS Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack3
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
    T8100 @ 2.10GHz
    795Mhz, 3.00 GB of RAM

Disk Space: 148GB total, 75GB free

It's a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop

I was thinking about posting a thread asking about computer upgrade advice. I don't know that upgrading is an option, but I can't buy new right now and am getting frustrated with slow saving/loading and also file size restrictions because of my computer. I'm not sure what the weak link in the chain is though.

Thanks for the information on this, those specs are good to know. If you do exactly the same thing ( 4000 x 4000 document, add a layer ), but this time, don't hide the second layer in your new document, then paint on the first layer, could I get you to check whether you get the same problem still? Just checking whether this happens anyway for you.

A couple of thoughts:

The undo system in Artrage uses the hard drive rather than RAM. It's possible that if hard drive access is slow, it could be related. Open 'My Computer', right click on your hard drive, go to Properties, then under the Tools tab, selected 'Defragment' and check to see whether your hard drive is fairly fragmented. If it is, you may find that it helps to Defrag the drive.

Also, check to see if you still get the delay if you start up Windows, then close down any background programs that might be running and launch ArtRage.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

5. If I don't hide the second layer then it's fine. I tried making the second layer not visible and waiting five minutes to see if that made a difference, but the program is still sticky. Then I saved, closed, and opened again and it is fine.

If closing and opening the program didn't fix it then I would blame it on my computer and not bring it up here, but it seems strange that closing and reloading fixes it. It doesn't matter whether the other layer is visible or not visible; it's just making any layer visibility change slows down the program until I close and re-open. Just saving doesn't do it, I have to actually close and re-open. It's not that big of an issue for me, but since I noticed a consistent pattern I thought I should mention it here.

I defragment pretty regularly and am planning to do it tonight after I finish a virus scan and disk clean-up. I have a clean-up and defrag program from the IT guy at work, so they're supposed to work pretty well.

Thanks for that. While I would expect memory usage to go up and speed to be reduced with larger files, I was unable to get the same behavior here when I tried these steps, but I've made a note for us to take a look at it as we work on the software to see if there's anything we can find.

If it's not too much trouble, could you get to the point you see the problem with just ArtRage running if possible, then go to your Start Menu and run 'msinfo32'. This should open the system information tool. Go to the file menu in this new window and select 'Save', then choose a filename. This will create a file with your system information including what's currently running which may help to get a better idea of what the situation is. You can email it to me at support@artrage.com
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Emily,
    I have the same problem, I've tried all kinds of things but it's not gone away.. as soon as i do anything to the layer visibility the cursor hangs. I use the F5 key (usually twice) to turn the lighting off and on again, which works as a workaround for me. clears up the lag, although on very large files just turning the lighting on and off takes a bit of a while. maybe it'll work for you too.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Flyashy - Thanks for that! That's really good information to have. I've added that to our notes on this so that we can look into it further to see if something can be done for an update.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

9. Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post
    Hi Emily,
    I have the same problem, I've tried all kinds of things but it's not gone away.. as soon as i do anything to the layer visibility the cursor hangs. I use the F5 key (usually twice) to turn the lighting off and on again, which works as a workaround for me. clears up the lag, although on very large files just turning the lighting on and off takes a bit of a while. maybe it'll work for you too.
    Thanks! It's good to know it's not just me. I'll try F5, it does take awhile on my computer, but probably faster than closing and reloading.

Due to the feedback, we now have an idea as to what might be causing this so we're going to do some checking to see what we can do to improve it. Thanks again!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design