ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West - Chapter 10

Moving West - Chapter 10

These past couple of months in the Mohegan village have been extremely busy for Sean. Realizing that the Mohegans are true experts in the skills of living off of, and with, the land, he wants to learn as many of those skills as possible before he leaves in the spring. More than that, Sean drives himself to hunt long hours every day. Mariska has told him that winter is a very difficult and dangerous season for the tribe. Try as they might, there is no way they can put back enough food to last through the entire winter. When spring arrives, winter will have claimed victims from among the very old, the very young, and from those that have been very sick. Sean is determined that his presence in the village will not cause anyone to get less food than they would have had if he had not come. It is this that drives him to do everything possible to bring back meat every day.
    Still, somehow on most days, Sean finds a little time to walk out of the village with Mariska in order to have a little private time. They talk about their trip to the village, and about what lies ahead in their future, particularly in the spring. Today, as they walk enjoying the Autumn beauty, Mariska cannot resist needling Sean.........” Do you remember that warrior that beat you in the footrace the other day? His name is Little Wolf. This morning he offered my father a fine horse and two blankets in exchange for his permission to take me for his wife. Oh...and last week, Raven Hair promised my father two beautiful ponies, if I would become his wife”. The obvious discomfort in Sean's

face in reaction to this news was a welcome sign to Mariska. She had no interest in becoming a wife to either of those men, but it put a bit of joy in her heart to see Sean twisting in the wind a little. It served as a reminder that he still wanted her very much,
    even though he does not yet have anything of value to present to her father, in accordance with the tribal custom.It will be a long winter for Sean, not only in terms of lack of food, and physical discomfort, but also in terms of wondering if some warrior will present an offer to Mariska's father that he will find too good to refuse, before Sean himself can make a serious offer.
    It will indeed, be a long cold winter.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chapter 10.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	386.5 KB 
ID:	49962  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-15-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I hope, that Mariska keeps Sean pretty warm during the winter and enough bufalowes roams around to supply the food. And the colors in the picture are just awsome... very nice painting..Barney...

Well, I hope that Sean is not only learning skills as technicalities, but also as disciplines and wisdom growth and a way to feel also spiritually part of that community, so has to enjoy of both his heritage and new lessons as an integrated enabler.
    I don't know how much free were squaws to speak openly and to marry who they wish in that period, but I guess that, against all odds, that normally would see Sean lose 99.9% in such an unfair competition based on gifts, something will happen where he may show his value instead and he may catch the opportunity.
    The Autumn delightful and soothing warm colors You painted may light the fire of his hope and dissipate the mist of his worries ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    I hope, that Mariska keeps Sean pretty warm during the winter and enough bufalowes roams around to supply the food. And the colors in the picture are just awsome... very nice painting..Barney...
    Unfortunately, the few buffalo left in that area, will probably graze south for the winter, and the tribe will again face a lean winter in regards to food. Difficult winters were usually a face of life for most Native American tribes in those days, and for some, still today.
    Thanks for the nice comments AT.. Very much appreciated!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Well, I hope that Sean is not only learning skills as technicalities, but also as disciplines and wisdom growth and a way to feel also spiritually part of that community, so has to enjoy of both his heritage and new lessons as an integrated enabler.
    I don't know how much free were squaws to speak openly and to marry who they wish in that period, but I guess that, against all odds, that normally would see Sean lose 99.9% in such an unfair competition based on gifts, something will happen where he may show his value instead and he may catch the opportunity.
    The Autumn delightful and soothing warm colors You painted may light the fire of his hope and dissipate the mist of his worries ...
    From what I've read, how much freedom the women had in regards to picking who they married, varied from tribe to tribe, and father to father.
    In some cases, it was totally the girl's choice, and the gift to the father was simply a matter of respect and tradition. In other cases, the father dictated who she would marry.

Caesar, thanks for reading/viewing. Appreciate your following the story.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Yes, and winter can bring a myriad of change. Anything can happen...
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    Yes, and winter can bring a myriad of change. Anything can happen...
    And..I suspect it will...
    Thanks for following Skylar. I do appreciate it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

It always fascinates me how the Native Americans live through winters with what they have. Living off the land is the dying skill in so many countries even the current Native Americans, sad but true.

The wisdom of living off the land can really help when ones are stuck in some remote places.

Hope Sean memorizes everything from these wise people.

Barnburner, the thought of the cold winter they are going to face, sean is going to have to work very hard, hope their relationship will grown during those cold winter nights.....what a story teller you are Barny and lovely painting to go with it

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    It always fascinates me how the Native Americans live through winters with what they have. Living off the land is the dying skill in so many countries even the current Native Americans, sad but true.

The wisdom of living off the land can really help when ones are stuck in some remote places.

Hope Sean memorizes everything from these wise people.
    Sadly, in a lot of tribes, hunger was the order of the day in winter in those days. Often, they had to resort to eating food that they knew was no good, but better risking bad food than certain death from no food at all.
    It's too bad that the Native American's understanding of the need for taking care of the land, has been ignored for far too long by our civilization as a whole.
    Thanks for following the story Jasmine. Much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: