ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Artrage 3 and Intuos4 Wireless strokes

Artrage 3 and Intuos4 Wireless strokes

Hi!

I really love the product but I can't seem to figure this out. It feels like Artrage 3 does not track my pen movements accurately when I apply strokes to the canvas using my Wacom Intuos4 in wireless (Bluetooth) mode. What is strange is that if I plug the tablet in and draw via USB I don't seem to see that same spotty tracking behavior.

Here's a comparison of two sets of strokes done with the Pencil with 0% smoothing. The top strokes are done with the Wacom via USB - the bottom are done with the Wacom in Bluetooth mode:

EDIT - refer to attachments

The Bluetooth strokes exhibit little 'kinks' in the arc that ought to be drawn smooth; the same strokes were made in both cases but the Bluetooth lines don't come out smooth compared to lines created in the same way with the same tablet when connected via USB.

Here's a detail of what I mean:

Just be be sure I went into a couple other programs to see if this was an issue specific to the Intuos4 and its Bluetooth implementation and not necessarily Artrage.

Here's the same manner of strokes drawn in Adobe Photoshop CS5:

Here's the same manner of strokes drawn in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 2011:
    These were both done while in Bluetooth mode and appear to be as smooth as my own pen strokes will make them.

I don't see any special settings to play with in input devices in Artrage's prefs. This really is not a huge deal in the end, but it does lessen my enjoyment of this overall really superb piece of software.

Is there any direction or clarification to be had on this issue - do any members of the community have the Intuos4 Wireless? Am I alone in experiencing this sort of behavior?

By the way: I am running OS X 10.6.4 on an iMac 27-Core i7 and have the most recent drivers for the Intuos4 Wireless installed.

Other things of note: I also have a Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard connected via Bluetooth at the same time - and use Magic Prefs to additional settings and controls for the Magic Mouse that include tracking speed beyond the normal OS tracking speed preferences. But since no other programs seem to be negatively affected by these realities I would be surprised if they had anything to do with my issue.

Thanks, this message is now a little long and a first post but I wanted to be clear on my issues. Thanks for taking a look!

---

Apparently I can't submit this post with links to external images until I have more post to this forum so I have attached my sample images to the post directly.

Compare shows Artrage lines - the top are USB drawn lines and the bottom or Bluetooth drawn lines.
    Both Detail images show the specific line behavior.
    PS.png shows lines drawn in the same manner in Photoshop via Bluetooth and sketchbook-pro.png shows lines drawn in the same manner in Sketchbook Pro 2011 via bluetooth as well for the sake of comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

The probable reason you're seeing a difference between the strokes in ArtRage and other apps relates to how the incoming point data is handled. If switching between USB and Bluetooth causes this it's almost certain to relate to the speed of data input. We're considering some ways we might adjust that in the future but for now what's probably happening is the additional items using your Bluetooth connection (particularly the accelerator for your mouse) are causing less point data to come in from the tablet.

There's nothing you can change in ArtRage preferences that would adjust how the point data is handled. Could you try turning off the additional mouse acceleration and see if that helps?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for your reply! It did occur to me that pointer acceleration might have been a factor. In Magic Prefs you can disable the overrides and revert to native device management. I tried that but had the same results. I also tried disabling Magic Pref AND removing my BT Keyboard and BT Magic Mouse and used only USB input devices, except for the Intuos4 Wireless - none of this seemed to make a difference.
    Last edited by mustardParty; 11-04-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Any word yet on why this only seems to happen in Artrage and not other programs?

It will relate to how the incoming point information is being handled in various different applications. Due to the additional requirements of processing strokes that interact with existing media, ArtRage handles incoming point information slightly differently to apps that just apply colour. As I mentioned before, we will be looking at ways to smooth this out in cases where the information lacks resolution for whatever reason, but currently there isn't a preference you can change.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.