ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i'm back with an abstract idea...the skill of seeing

i'm back with an abstract idea...the skill of seeing

just thought i share my idea before i put it into video form.

here's the intro. ( 1 of 10 short chapters )

What if? Every image ever created, from prehistoric cave drawings to today digital 3d renders could described with only 5 visual ideas. In other words, I'm saying, what if every visual image was equal. Equal in the sense that they all could be described using only one visual language, and seeing this visual language is a skill all in itself. This is the skill of seeing. I created this set of videos to help the artist see the world of visual images in a whole new light. I also hope to show you that no matter what visual tools you use, the ability to see the visual image with a visual language will get you to where you want to be, creating your visual image with confidence and a full understanding. So if you're ready to explore a new idea or just want to know why I think all visual images are equal. Then join me in the next chapter. Where I answer, why?

tell me what you guys think of the intro?

steve

here's the intro. ( 1 of 10 short chapters )

What if every image ever created, from prehistoric cave drawings to today's digital 3d renders could be described with only five visual ideas.In other words, what if all visual images were equal? Equal in the sense that they they all can be described using one visual language and that understanding this visual language is a skill all in itself. I created this set of videos to help the artist see the world of visual images in a whole new light. It is my hope to show you that regardless of what visual tools you use, the ability to see the visual image with a visual language will get you to a place of creating images with confidence and a full understanding. So if you're ready to explore a new idea join me in the next chapter where I answer the question of why all visual images are equal.

Hi Steve,
    hope you like my edit. Your idea sounds very interesting and certainly has peaked my curiosity.

excellent, thanks for the corrections. I really need it at times lol

i hope to just spill out my whole project out on this forum. (if you guys don't mind.) i could really use the help.

i have the idea in written form only. it's the visual part, is what i'm having a hard time seeing ( animation vs. me in front of a camera ) both are falling flat.

yes, i know, oh the irony of not being able to visualize a project about the visual image. hehe

thanks

steve

Chapter two "the why"
    NARRATOR
    So why would I come up with this wild notion that all visual images are equal? The answer is simple to help the artist see beyond the tools they use, when they create the image. I want to bridge the gap between all visual tools. So, no matter what visual tool you use, you can communicate with other artist, thus creating a universal visual language. But the only way to go about this, is to found the common bond between all visual tools and the visual images that they create. Before I get to this common bond, perhaps I should talk about how I see all visual images. I see the image as having two side to the same coin, sort to speak. One side of the visual image is the physical side. What you see before you, like the space, lines, shapes, values, and colour. Now the other side of the visual image is the symbolic side. Where you see the image based on emotion or ideas. How the image makes you feel or how you can relate to that image. I found that the symbolic side is what makes all images unique and ever changing. But it's the physical side of the visual image is what the skill of seeing is all about and how we can see all visual images as equal. In the next chapter I'll talk about how the world of today sees the visual image, in chapter 3 the problem of today.

steve
    Last edited by stinkyu111; 11-05-2010 at 04:19 AM.

Dear Steve, , maybe it's about feelings or impression,,,,, happy, sad, fear, confusion, anger, curiosity, contentment,,,,,,? will keep reading your thoughts as it is interesting,,,,,

hey Lee thanks for joining in.

maybe it's about feelings or impression,,,,, happy, sad, fear, confusion, anger, curiosity, contentment,,,,,,?

this list i would also include into the symbolic side of the visual image world. since ths was a script of a video i was just trying to be brief. People get bored so quickly today.
    I tried to keep each chapter under 3 mins.
    The one thing i didn't add was the visual.
    Maybe i could add the list of feelings or impression you mentioned in the background
    thanks for writing in.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyu111 View Post
    hey Lee thanks for joining in.
    People get bored so quickly today.
    I tried to keep each chapter under 3 mins.

steve
    You are right, with the advent of new technologies, our audience does seem to have a short attention span - so , maybe these 3 steps can be applied: 1) tell'em what you're going to tell'em; 2) tell 'em 3) tell'em what you just told'em - works for those of us with short attention spans. Our attention is also affected by how the project makes us feel. If we lose our audience's attention - we lose them entirely. Oftimes, from a visual perspective - we only have few seconds for our audience to decide to keep on reading or watching - so big impact on the opening, I think

Quote Originally Posted by MotherReiver View Post
    You are right, with the advent of new technologies, our audience does seem to have a short attention span - so , maybe these 3 steps can be applied: 1) tell'em what you're going to tell'em; 2) tell 'em 3) tell'em what you just told'em - works for those of us with short attention spans. Our attention is also affected by how the project makes us feel. If we lose our audience's attention - we lose them entirely. Oftimes, from a visual perspective - we only have few seconds for our audience to decide to keep on reading or watching - so big impact on the opening, I think
    hey MotherReiver thanks for joining me!!!

you have some great advice, we'll have to compare notes on visual impact.

steve

Chapter three the problem of today. NARRATOR
    So far I've talked about bridging the gap between all visual tools, through a common bond. But I realized that I have to overcome a problem or two. The First problem, the world of visual tools, paint, the camera and 3d software, just to name a few. All these tools need different supplies, different skills and even the image that is created has their own unique look to them. But the problem of seeing a common bond ran deeper then just these idea's. The perception of the visual image that is created by these tools were also getting in the way. Second problem, today there is a whole world of categories that is used to describe the visual image. These categories divided up the visual image into different sections based on what tools were used, the style choices of the artist and even the content or subject matter depicted in the visual image. This list of categories continues to grow when they consider when the image was made, what part of the world it was made in, and even how the visual image is used, for personal or commercial use. It's no wonder we can't see the visual images as equal. The world of today has us thinking that every visual image ever created is alone on it's own separate island. But contrary to this belief every visual tool and the image that is created by these tools have a common bond and that's my next chapter chapter 4 the common bond.

steve

Chapter four "the common bond"
    Narrator
    So what is this common bond that ties all visual tools and the images they make? Simply put, you, the viewer is that common bond. All visual tools create a final image or visual image. Whether it's a painting, the photograph or a 3d render. They all can be seen by the same set of tools, the human eye. Now, what if there was a word that could describe everything we can see with our eyes? I've been using it the whole time. The word is Image. Image is roughly defined as anything and everything we can physically see with our eyes. So I'm proud to present to you the super category the Image and the great thing about this super category is that it includes all the rest of the other categories that's already out there in the world today. Now, I know I'm not alone with this idea of a equal image. Back in the year 2000, Molly Bang's book "picture this" where she talked about how all pictures could be seen and described through the use of pieces of colour paper. In the mid 90's Scott McCloud's book "understanding comics" asked his readers to consider comics to be a serious art form as any other. Scott also talked about 6 steps that all visual artist go through when creating any visual image. Now further back in the 1920's a group of photographer's asked the world to consider photography to be an equal to painting. Years later this was known as pictorialism. Now even further back in the 1860's just after the first photographic process was introduced to the world. Some painters felt it was no longer necessary to paint the world the way the eye seen it. Categories known as expressionism, impressionism and post impressionism sprang up. Where all artist cried out for equality. This drive for equality from all artist from different visual tools and different style choices can be heard everywhere. That's why it's time for the super category the image. Now, what if I told you that there is a whole list of visual ideas already out there in the world today to go with this super category. That's my next chapter, the list of visual ideas.

thanks for reading
    steve.

i'll post chapter 5 of 10 monday