ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving West - Chapter Nine

Moving West - Chapter Nine

At Last - The Mohegan Village
    If looks could kill – the occupants of the main council lodge would be ready for burial....
    Back in her village for less than 24 hours, Mariska stands with clenched fists, staring lightning bolts at the council lodge. She is absolutely furious that she is not allowed to attend the meeting that is currently being held between her father, the tribal council, and Sean. Since some of the council members are women, she considers her exclusion to be particularly unfair, and someone WILL be the recipient of her verbal fury when the meeting is ended.
    Inside, Sean has given them an account of their journey on their way to the village. (Well, all the details that they had a need to know anyway...) In response to their questions, he also supplied a history of why he left Ireland, and his experiences thus far since coming to this country.
    Mariska's father, “Tiganche”, is not the chief of the tribe, but, he does hold the important role as the tribe's “Owl”. This is a powerful position that today's readers can relate to Don Corleone's “Consigliere”. After every member has spoken, it apparently falls on “The Owl” to summarize, and pass along the will of the council to Sean.
    “The Mohegan people are very grateful for your help in bringing Mariska back to us. Since arriving in this country, you have had a very difficult time, and it is our wish that we be able

to assist you in moving to your future, better prepared to avoid future troubles.” The changing of the leaves will be upon us very soon. Being unfamiliar with our winters, you will have a

difficult time if you try to survive it by yourself. It is our wish
    that you remain with us until Spring. This will give you the opportunity to learn many of the things that we can teach you, things that you will need to know when you leave us in the Spring. You will need to learn to hunt the kind of animals that live in this country, and how to use their hides and other parts to make things you will need. As you found with the snake, there are dangers to be dealt with, and they are made worse if you do not know how to deal with them.
    If you trap and hunt well, the pelts and furs you gain, will help you trade for things you will need in the settlements.”
    Sean thought he caught a glint in “The Owl's” eye as he said “Of course, should you find a woman among us, that you wish to marry, it is our custom that the father of the bride be given valued presents before he gives her away. We notice that you have no possessions now. You may wish to work and gain some, on the chance that you might find such a woman....”
    With that, the meeting ended, and Sean stepped out the door of the lodge, and with one look at the anger on Mariska's face, knew that he was facing a much bigger danger than the snake that almost killed him....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mohegan Village.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	49869  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-15-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

So it looks that Sean will be pretty busy this oncomming winter, Barney, and i hope there's not another even more articulate Mariska among those Mohegans and i just hope, that he is going to have a wonderfull time among them and that he will learn quickly all there is needed to survive harsh winters on his own... thic picture is very nice, so pieceful and loving... i am looking forward to more of the story....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    So it looks that Sean will be pretty busy this oncomming winter, Barney, and i hope there's not another even more articulate Mariska among those Mohegans and i just hope, that he is going to have a wonderfull time among them and that he will learn quickly all there is needed to survive harsh winters on his own... thic picture is very nice, so pieceful and loving... i am looking forward to more of the story....:-)
    I'm really glad you liked the picture on this one. I made at least 3 different attempts to paint Sean, and they all were horrible. As I was starting on the 4th attempt, the idea of he and Mariska's father being inside the lodge talking, and she being outside, hit me, and I think the storyline came out better as a result.

I think Sean is in for a difficult, but productive winter, one that will help pave the way to his new life, and hopefully, one that will include......Mariska....
    AT, thanks for following my little story, and I'm delighted that you find it interesting.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Well, the most valuable gift You long for in life are also the ones You had to work harder to get .... Don't tell Mariska, but I concur with the council decision, so that their desire is not just an hormonally ignited straw fire (as we use to express in Italy a sentiment that doesn't last).
    So, the medecine man and the rituals may wait for the moment, while Sean has the opportunity to grow necessary lessons and skills to live in the New World and the wild ...
    Very good continuation and illustration again.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I love this and your story telling is great dear Barn
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Again Barnburner another great episode and painting to match. Hmmmmmm I wonder what winter will bring for Sean
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Well, the most valuable gift You long for in life are also the ones You had to work harder to get .... Don't tell Mariska, but I concur with the council decision, so that their desire is not just an hormonally ignited straw fire (as we use to express in Italy a sentiment that doesn't last).
    So, the medecine man and the rituals may wait for the moment, while Sean has the opportunity to grow necessary lessons and skills to live in the New World and the wild ...
    Very good continuation and illustration again.
    Rest assured, we shall not inform Mariska of your agreeing with the council's decision to keep her out.
    The Mohegan tribe does not normally indulge in "scalping". However, Mariska is a woman that adheres to boundaries and normalities when they make sense to her, not because she is told to. So, for the sake of your scalp, we will not tempt fate by letting her become aware of your opinion.....

Thanks for the kind words, and for following along.
    Much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by mannafig View Post
    I love this and your story telling is great dear Barn
    You are too kind dear Amanda... (he says as he shuffles his feet, and his face turns an embarrassing red...)

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Again Barnburner another great episode and painting to match. Hmmmmmm I wonder what winter will bring for Sean
    Winter?? Heck, I haven't yet figured out what Autumn has in store for Sean, Mariska, and the Mohegan tribe...
    Hopefully, it will be interesting.
    Coops, I truly appreciate your interest and kind comments.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Sean is blessed eventhough he must prove himself. Well done Barn in both story and painting.