ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage and Print-Resolution Files

ArtRage and Print-Resolution Files

Please, please, please make ArtRage more efficient with print-resolution files.

I am inking a 10"x8" 600 dpi/ppi file now that has a tracing image and only one transparent layer with black aliased line. The canvas is set to "cell" with the lighting turned off. Rotating the canvas and saving takes a ridiculous amount of time.

I am running ArtRage Studio Pro on an Intel quad core Q6600 PC with an nVidia Quadro 3700 video card and 4 GB of RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything else runs fine on the workstation except ArtRage and I LOVE ArtRage!!!

Please fix this for the next release or SOONER! Cheers!
    Brent Lowrie

ArtRage can be a pretty processor intensive application, especially when working at such large sizes, because the amount of data it uses per pixel of paint is significantly higher than that in most other painting applications. As well as tracking the color of every pixel in the canvas itís handling the volume of paint there, the metallicity of that paint, its wetness and other properties that go together to make the simulation work. The ability to blend and smear, and generate textures live while painting requires that data to be present, and even if you turn off the lights the app still has to track all that information so that the underlying paint strokes can be generated correctly. The rendering of the result on the canvas wonít be whatís slowing it down here, it will be the sheer scale of the canvas and the amount of data that is having to be pushed around for every stroke you make.

For a future update we are planning to introduce 64-bit support, and multithreaded processing where possible. Your video card isnít being used so thatís not important to the product. However itís not an instant or quick fix. The complexity of the paint simulation means that splitting the paint stroke out in to multiple threads isnít just a case of typing a few commands and watching it go. We donít have an estimate for when it will be available but we are definitely working to make sure that we can take advantage of the additional processing power in the extra cores to speed painting up on large size canvases such as the one youíre using.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt

I'm sure 64-bit and multi-threading will help. I could easily be an ArtRage evangelist if it weren't for this issue with print-resolution files. I use Studio Pro professionally and recommend it to my fellow illustrators but with the caveat of the performance. Neither Painter nor Photoshop suffer from the same issues and certainly Painter must process the same sort of data.

Thanks again for the reply and I look forward to future updates. Cheers!
    Brent Lowrie

Painter doesn't generally handle the same sort of data as it happens, some modes handle similar data but not to the same extent as ArtRage which is why there's a difference.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.