ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Rulers are very awkward to use

Rulers are very awkward to use

I don't know if it's just me or if I'm missing some tricks to using the rulers but I find them very awkward and not user friendly. Especially if you're trying to do perspective work. To have to go back and forth from having to move the ruler by hitting the transform tool, then hitting another tool and then rotating the ruler then back to transform to move it is very time consuming and disrupts work flow. Also is there anyway to lock the ruler at 0 degrees and 90 degrees? If not I would find that very useful. When rotating the ruler you can't tell whether the ruler is perfectly horizontal or perfectly vertical. Also making the program more tablet pc friendly would be nice. For instance trying to draw a straight line by holding down control. There's no easy way I know about to do this if you're using a tablet pc. I use the tablet pc as a tablet with the keyboard covered up so I can't use the control key. If I there was a feature where I could map keys like the control key to the button on the stylus that might work. Or a feature where you could open a menu with key options to select and then toggle using that key on or off so then we could use keyboard shortcuts. For instance, you hit a button to open a menu, select the key you want to use lets say the control key, when you close the menu the control key is on, then there is another button to toggle the selected key on or off. I hope what I said is understandable and clear.

Ruler shortcuts:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruleragogo.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	49716
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Ok, nice to know that you can lock the ruler in at intervals. But the way you have to do it demonstrates my point that ArtRage could be more Tablet PC friendly. Shortcuts don't work well when the keyboard is covered up and inaccessible.

I suppose it all depends on one's preferred tablet set up. I have the Shift modifier set to one of my pens buttons, so I can do everything the ruler allows,in terms of shortcuts, without ever touching the keyboard.

How do you handle needing the control key? How many buttons does your pen have? Mine only has one button.

Quote Originally Posted by briwayjones View Post
    How do you handle needing the control key? How many buttons does your pen have? Mine only has one button.
    My Pen has two buttons and my tablet has two buttons. I have the main button on the pen set up for Right Click (to make dragging things easy) and my secondary button on the pen set for Shift. The two buttons on my tablet are set for Ctrl and Alt.

thank you SOS you have shown how easy it is to work that ruler