ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Design a better airbrush for AR?

Red face Design a better airbrush for AR?

I use AR airbrush sometimes but it always seems not right to me. Say I have a standard 100% pressure, 100% opacity airbrush and I draw a straight line like the attached picture. There are 3 things not right:

1, The colour should be pure black in the centre, but it turned out to be gray.
    2, The outcome size doesn't match up with the brush size (it's only about 60%)
    3, The darkest area also seems too big for airbrush.

I understand that some people like the 'neon light airbrush' look, but is it possible to as well design a 'digital airbrush' that is more smooth and soft?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For comparison, here is the standard Photoshop airbrush with perfect gradient:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you're using the Ctrl-Drag shortcut to produce a straight line that might explain some of what you're seeing. The speed over the stroke is fixed when you're using that shortcut, so the amount of pigment applied is going to be limited.

The airbrush doesn't apply a pure pixel to the canvas, it's sprays pigment over time in a cloud, so you won't get a 100% black pixel in the centre unless you turn autoflow on and let the airbrush spray more. The airbrush builds up to the point of fully opaque color rather than putting it down immediately, which wouldn't feel as real.

This concept of natural, continuous spray is also why the eventual stroke isn't the full width of your cursor. The airbrush is actually spraying in to that full width, but the falloff of the spray at the end means you can't see it unless you let the brush spray more. With Autoflow turned off you'll never see that, as the flow is stopped, you're basically making a 'stamp' of a single spray.

It's possible that we will add some more control over how the virtual nozzle projects its pigment spray in the future, and that may allow you further control over the spread of the spray, but we probably won't be going down the line of producing a standard digital airbrush.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.