ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Importing smooth paper grains

Importing smooth paper grains

Hello, I'm a brand new user, so excuse me if this is a very simple question but... How do I import a paper grain that is even smoother than the preset "fine paper" grain which comes pre-loded?

Hello pharaoh and welcome to the ArtRage forums,

Any image can be used to create a paper gain, really. It's just a matter of bringing it into the program. Once there, you may select the grain of your choice and edit how much that grain reacts with the tools by changing the "Roughness" and "Grain Size" percentages.

Now... There's actually a few different ways to load in a grain for use with AR. The best way, in my opinion, is to import the grain into a group, so it will always be handy (and so it will be available for use in the Layer Textures panel, should you plan to use it there). You may also choose to use the "Select Canvas Grain From Disk" option from the Canvas Panels menu tab.

To Import a Grain and use it in a Canvas Preset:
    1 - Bring up your Canvas panel.
    This panel automatically opens when you begin a new painting, but if you already have the painting started, you may go to View > Canvas Settings to bring it on screen.
    2 - On the left hand side of the Canvas panel, just above the Opacity dial, you'll see a Menu tab (the box with four black, horizontal lines in it). Click on the tab and select "Choose Canvas Grain" to open the Paper Grains panel.
    On the Paper Grain panel, you'll see a list of groups available to you, and a window showing which grains are currently stored for use in the highlighted group. Grain images with the small lock icons on them (located in the upper left corner of the windows) mean that those grains are default grains that came with the program.
    3 - To import your own grain, it is advisable to create your own group to store it, and others. To do this (if you haven't done so already), click on the Add Group button, input a name, and click OK.

4 - With your group created and selected, click on the Import Grain button, and browse to the image file you wish to use for your grain and open it.
    Once you do this, you'll see the grain added to the window with the grain images on the right side of the panel.
    5 - If you have more grains to import, just repeat steps 3 and 4 now. If not, highlight the grain you wish to use now and select Ok.

6 - With the grain selected, you may now change its size and roughness using the Grain Size and Roughness dials on the Canvas panel (the changes can be seen in the preview window on the top left of the Canvas Panel).

7 - With the changes made, you are ready to test the grain. To do this, X-out the Canvas panel (click on the x in upper right corner of the Canvas panel). If you find that the grain is to your liking, it would be a good idea to save the Canvas as a preset. To do that, just open the Canvas Panel again, select a group (or create a new one) to save the canvas in and click on the New button. Type in a name for the preset and click Save, and the canvas preset will be available for instant use next time you open the program.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 10-29-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

For current grains, you can also alter the 'roughness' dial all the way down to 0% ( no texture at all ), so you may find using an existing grain with step 6 and 7 of Someonesane's post works well for you.

There's also a smooth paper under the 'Special' canvas grains category called 'Cel'. This is transparent by default but you could set the opacity dial to 100%, then save a new preset if you want a flat white paper.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful replies. I'll follow those tips straight away. I'm really enjoying the programme and am intending to use it for artworking an animated film. The pencil and crayon seem particularly good. I wanted a smooth paper to replicate the animation paper that I used to use.
    Thanks again guys. Great forum

pharaoh