ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pressure

pressure

A demo showed pressure sensitivity on ipad

Artrage ipad with pressure ...

We have been watching a couple of different approaches to pressure sensitivity with interest. At the moment we do not know of any that are approved for use in the App Store so we would be unable to include them in the product, but we're certainly interested in looking further once one becomes available for use by approved apps.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Could it be the area of the user's finger? Would that be something that could be detected? Just thoughts 'cuz I really don't know the mechanics of the iPad.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Pressure Alternatives

A number of iPhone drawing apps use speed to gain the affect of pressure - faster strokes produce thinner lines, slower strokes produce wider lines. These procedural drawing apps are surprisingly good and while they seem to be so far mostly limited to pencil drawing the Eastern Drawing app applies it to ink brush effects and it is both really attractive as well as fun. Sadly it is only an iPhone app yet - I wish they would bring out an iPad version.

I wonder if the Art Rage team have considered a speed component in this way?

I use Eastern Drawing and find the speed to brush size to work well.

Hi,
    I have an idea in order to have pressure support :
    The idea is to sell a stylus that would transmit pressure in bluetooth (or wifi) to the iPad ?
    Could this be possible ?

Pressure (stopgap/workaround implementation)

Adding pressure sensitivity to ArtRage and similar apps on the iPad is likely the Holy Grail of features. It would certainly increase the functionality of the app, but would it add a tremendous amount of overhead, programmatically and/or to the processor?

I'm curious about a couple of current implementations I have used to emulate pressure on devices. One is certainly intentional in the design of the app, the other is something I stumbled upon, but haven't found anyone else exploiting it.

First, the intended pressure emulator. Colors!, originally for the Nintendo DS—one of the first apps for painting on the iPhone—has a feature that allows the user to set pressure minimum and maximum ranges to the user-selected tilt of the of the device. The user positions the device as they will typically hold it, and tilting one direction, sets the point for minimum; tilts back and sets the maximum.

After this, as the artist is drawing, they gently rock the device forward or back to alter the "pressure" of their brush. I found it works pretty well on the iPhone, but there is no HD version to see if it works significantly better on the iPad. Blowing the app up to 2x size is "okay", but not conclusive.

The second method of pressure emulation is one I stumbled up in Adobe Ideas. Originally, Adobe Ideas was released for iPad. A few days later it was made available for the iPhone as well. It is on the phone that I discovered this function, accidentally.

Adobe Ideas has a button slider for opacity and one for brush size. Tap > slide up or down > change size or opacity. While sketching on the iPhone, my thumb grazed the size selection slider, and the weight of my stroke changed as I was drawing. It was a pleasantly surprising effect and works the same way on the iPad. On the larger device I've found that if I rock and roll my thumb, rather than dragging it, I have greater control. This function does not work with the opacity tool.

Would it be feasible to implement a "control spot" for changing pressure/size in a similar fashion for ArtRage on touch devices? I would imagine it as a floating panel or specific section of screen assigned to this function, perhaps only focused when the toolbar is collapsed. It would need to be able to change anchor from one side of the interface to another to accommodate either left or right hand users, and ideally anywhere along the Y-axis so users with different sized hands could access it comfortably.

Just a couple thoughts you may well already have considered, but may serve as workaround for emulation of pressure sensitivity until other options are available.

Some interesting ideas there! I'm hoping that a pressure sensitivity API is approved at some point, or that Apple produce their own.

I noticed Garage Band appears to be using the accelerometers for initial touch pressure sensitivity but I guess that's not the ideal approach when looking at painting (unless you're used to shaking your canvas while you work)

I'll make a note of your ideas there and consider them as we look at revising the product.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I also strongly recommend taking brush speed into account to make variation on pressure. Check, for instance, Zen Brush app.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johansen View Post
    A number of iPhone drawing apps use speed to gain the affect of pressure - faster strokes produce thinner lines, slower strokes produce wider lines. These procedural drawing apps are surprisingly good and while they seem to be so far mostly limited to pencil drawing the Eastern Drawing app applies it to ink brush effects and it is both really attractive as well as fun. Sadly it is only an iPhone app yet - I wish they would bring out an iPad version.

I wonder if the Art Rage team have considered a speed component in this way?

If anyone wants to try the pressure-by-speed in actual use try the tInker Paint app. It has a simple oil brush (simulated impasto but without significant interaction with underlying marks) which implements pseudo pressure of stroke determined by stroke speed. I find it works very well.

Slow movement lays down a thick wide opaque mark and faster movement lays down a thinner, flatter, less opaque mark. The pressure interpolation is not adjustable but the size/opacity/impasto ratios for any given tracking speed seem very well calibrated. I think pressure effect by speed would be great as an option in ArtRage.