ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: do you know any sites for drawers you store your work and can be noticed?

do you know any sites for drawers you store your work and can be noticed?

Hello everyone
    im from Poland and i just wanted to ask you where you, the foreigners, would recommend to store the works to be noticed by some publishing agencies? im drawing for children and would like to get some contacts with publishers for children. i was trying to find some websites like this but i couldnt do it on my own. maybe you can help me please
    i will be really grateful
    roza

good question... hopefully some of the people who actually get paid for art like Hanzz or Bob Row will chime in here. Hopefully they might have some input on how to get yourself noticed in the illustration field. There seems to be a lot of people self publishing childrens' books nowadays.

What about an art blog? Maybe link it up to Illustration Friday. Might get noticed that way. If I were looking for an illustrator I would honestly start looking on the art blogs on Illustration Friday. I have seen some really cool art on those blogs. http://www.illustrationfriday.com/
    artists do an illustration for the topic of the week. you have to start a blog which is pretty easy with eblogger or wordpress.

Other ideas of places to get noticed by people shopping for an artist...

http://www.childrensillustrators.com/

http://picture-book.com/

one thing for sure it is a good idea to have a good looking portfolio or be able to show examples of your work. you seriously have enough quality pieces for that right now in your gallery.

here's another place to show your work...

http://www.best-childrens-books.com/...ustrators.html
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-11-2010 at 04:34 PM.

3. To get noticed and bring in clients and sales of your work is one of those things where there is no one way to do it. Some creatives make the dangerous mistake of expecting clients to find them with out doing any leg work at all. Putting you work up on a website or 2 isn't enough. Having agency representation isn't enough. Just being an amazing artist, sadly, isn't enough.

It takes a lot of work to get noticed and you have to work very hard to get your work seen by as many of the right people as possible. Marketing is important and you have to be proactive about it.

If I was to work in the publishing industry, I would start researching publishers and start emailing, phoning or writing to them and ask if it is ok to submit your work to them. Art directors are busy people but as long as you are professional and polite, you may get lucky. Remember that rejection is common place in the creative industries, so expect some doors to close in your face. You don't take it personally.

Same goes for agents. Agents are good at finding work you may not have found yourself but having an agent represent you shouldn't be the only way you get work. Research and approach, but don't take the door closing personally. In my experience, agents represent a lot of creatives and getting one to represent you can be tricky.

In short, getting noticed can be a slow climb but one thing to always remember is to be professional. If your not professional, you won't get anywhere... ever.

As far as good websites go, build your own. Make sure it is easy to navigate and the work is the centre of attention. Joing forums like this is good too, but more industry known forums like Conceptart.org and CGSociety.com are known for having art directors look for new talent on there.

SO, go forth and network!

Hope that was helpfull.

Be sure to check out conceptart.org and deviantart.com - they are both pretty diverse in the work shown there. CA has a lot of focus on training and education. Though the purpose of the site is for creating concept art for projects like games, movies, etc, I've seen a lot of great childrens art there. DA is very diverse and is home to top professionals from many disciplines all the way down to people who, um, clearly need an art class or two. While DA has a very wide variety of art it's a great place to set up an online gallery.

also congratulations on your new gig illustrating a children's book.