Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Odds and Ends (UPDATED 3-30-2013)

The work increases to me having discovered the panel's secrets. Added to some mistakes not undone... But now I thing I 've got something more like real "comic strip". What do you think? (Critique accepted: it's unfinished yet but hope you get the feel of the story)

Quote Originally Posted by dbenner11 View Post
    I am brand new to this, I apologize if this isn't the best way to contact someone,
    But I read what you said to another user, in reference to stencils. It involved the way you use stencils with your cartoon drawing. I cannot figure out how to make a stencil work like a "mask" properly.
    I drew a simple guy, with multiple layers, each dividing his body, clothes, hat, shoes, etc., with a pencil tool. But, when I try to make a stencil out of each layer individually (so I can do shadows like you described), all I get is a stencil of exactly the lines I drew, which doesn't allow me to add any paint except to the lines themselves.
    Any advice or even a simple method would be greatly appreciated.
    And sorry if this is the wrong way to post.
    , Danny
    Hi Danny,

Which version of ArtRage are you using? Which version you use, will determine the easiest methods available to you. In any event, none of the versions will automatically create a 'filled' stencil, from pencil lines. I'm not sure which of my posts you read, but my normal methods usually deal with creating a new layer, and filling specific areas in using whatever tools or features will work for me. Once that's done, I'll create a stencil of that layer, which acts as a mask for shading, and highlights on separate layers. I'll sometimes use the selection tool to outline the area, and then fill it in, as well.

I can help you further, by making a tutorial or some sort later, but first I need to know which ArtRage you use, so I know what tools/features you have available.

Quote Originally Posted by Siamsa View Post
    The work increases to me having discovered the panel's secrets. Added to some mistakes not undone... But now I thing I 've got something more like real "comic strip". What do you think? (Critique accepted: it's unfinished yet but hope you get the feel of the story)
    Hi Siamsa,

Looks great! Keep it up
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

3. Huge thank you for the perspective tool!! I'd been fiddling with different ways to get exactly that. This way better than anything I had come up with. Brilliant!

You're a sanity saver! Is that why you're still someone sane?

Saw your video since I'm subscribed to your youtube channel and had to come over and get the stencils and sticker spray.

I love the way you teach!

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post
    Saw your video since I'm subscribed to your youtube channel and had to come over and get the stencils and sticker spray.

Thanks Judith! I like your tutorials as well. I hope you enjoy the stickers and stencils

nice try... but what if why have 15 objects in view and all of tjem have own v.p?

layersmagazine.com/illustrator-cs5-perspective-tool(dot)html

ehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_hectic View Post
    nice try... but what if why have 15 objects in view and all of tjem have own v.p?
    I'd use the rulers, like I do when I draw with paper and pencil, or I'd create perspective line layers for each object and simply hide them when I'm not using them. That, or I'd use a program designed for sophisticated perspective work, rather then one created for painting.

8. Someonesane, I love your perspective tool (thank you!) and have been tweaking it a bit to help speed up the creation of the grid (I get some crazy deadlines and every minute can count....and my computer is old and slow). I think I finally have a good working version to share. The image below just took two quick clicks.

See attached (let me know if I missed any of the required files...there is the sticker sheet and the preset)

Best way I've found to use this is to place one perspective sticker in the middle of the sheet and then move it to the location of your vanishing point. Repeat for any further vanishing points and line up the blue horizon lines.

Next I'm gonna try to see if it's possible to tweak the lines to correctly recede into space and create a true to life receding grid to draw on. Any help!?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. I think I sussed out a receding perspective sticker. 1 and 2 point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recede.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	61869  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    For anyone who enjoys creating Comic Books/Strips, I thought I'd share some of the resources I've created for use in ArtRage Studio Pro.

__RESOURCES________________________________
    ♦ The following three resources were created by me, by hand, with ArtRage (Read More):
    ♦ These next attachments may take some explaining to use, so if you have questions, ask about them, and I'll get back to you.
    Perspective Line Grid Maker (Sticker Spray Preset and Sticker):
    ○ Sticker Set: Attachment 49575
    ○ Sticker Spray Preset: Attachment 49577
    Speed Line Generator (Sticker Spray Preset and Sticker):
    ○ Sticker Set: Attachment 49576
    ○ Sticker Spray Presets: Attachment 49578 Attachment 49579 Speed Lines NT3.prs
    I came across your Perspective sticker spray via youtube and realised you were on this forum too. It's a brilliant tool but I am not sure how to put it on my copy of studio pro. Would you mind explaining how? I tried putting it in 'stickers' but it has just come up blank. Computers and me don't really mix lol.

Thank You