Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Odds and Ends (UPDATED 3-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Siamsa View Post
    Hi Someonesane, i just downloaded your sticker set for speed lines, but when applying it I only see a sort of mikado sticks cris-crossing. I suppose I'm not doing it right, so I'll appreciate some suggestions from the creator. Thxs in advance!

Hi Siamsa,

If you're seeing something like mikado sticks, then things are working fine. It's just a matter of using it to get the result you want. Basically, the Speed Line presets work in reverse (sort of). For example, if you want black speed lines, over a white background, you'll need to fill the background in with a black color, and use white when laying down the speed lines. I know, it probably sounds confusing, but once you see it working, it'll make sense. So here are the steps I normally use (for better clarity, view the following images at full screen):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed-line-tut1.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	51693

Name:	speed-line-tut2.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	51694
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Many many thanks for your help Someonesane. I tried and it works! Your speed lines are a powerful way to improve the expresiveness of my drawings... and your tuts are even more powerful.

perspective grid

can you give an overview of how to use the perspective grid sticker? how to select it.. how to place them, etc.. (like your example image)

thanks!

also-- thanks for sharing your 'supplies!' (brushes, stickers, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by artsy fartsy View Post
    can you give an overview of how to use the perspective grid sticker? how to select it.. how to place them, etc.. (like your example image)
    Hi Artsy,

Hmm.... Well, the idea behind the Perspective Line sticker is pretty simple, and basically works like my Speed Line Presets. The idea being, one selects the Perspective Lines Preset from the Sticker Spray list, selects a vanishing point area, and then clicks and holds down the mouse button on that spot until the Spray tool has created a focus point of lines. By choosing and creating two or three vanishing points, one may then use One point, Two point, or three point perspective using those lines to create an object within that perspective grid. This may be something that is easier to display by video, rather then a written tutorial, so I'll see what I can do about making one up.

also-- thanks for sharing your 'supplies!' (brushes, stickers, etc)
    Sure, no problem

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to bump the thread up to an active area, so everyone would know that I've updated the thread with a video tutorial on how to use my Perspective Lines Sticker Spray preset. You can watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGxW_WAMisM

AR comic

SoS I see you panel your drawings with AR, could you give some suggestions to make panelling easier with the app?

Quote Originally Posted by Siamsa View Post
    SoS I see you panel your drawings with AR, could you give some suggestions to make panelling easier with the app?

Hi Siamsa,

I don't do anything that needs very much precision, so I don't really do anything fancy for my panels. Mostly I just use the Selection tool to select the areas I want to use, invert that selection, and then fill it with the Fill tool. But if it will help, here are the steps I normally take, in more detail (be sure to open the images up to full size, for better clarity).

Name:	p1-2.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	52432

Name:	p3-4.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	52433

Name:	p5-6.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	52434

Someonesane.... You rock...!!!!

Within the depths of your mind along with Nick Harris & Jon Hodgson there is perhaps enough know-how to author a good tutorial book on ArtRage... I know it's there....

Panels

Thans a lot SoS. I tried and it works!
    Nice to have a teacher so clear & quick when answering. That's one of the good things with AR
    Now I suppose have to tint and color each panel in a new layer, but first I'll try if it's possible to stick he "old" paintings I made into the "new" pannelled canvas. Just to make use of the work already made.
    Yummy work!

To: someonesane

I am brand new to this, I apologize if this isn't the best way to contact someone,
    But I read what you said to another user, in reference to stencils. It involved the way you use stencils with your cartoon drawing. I cannot figure out how to make a stencil work like a "mask" properly.
    I drew a simple guy, with multiple layers, each dividing his body, clothes, hat, shoes, etc., with a pencil tool. But, when I try to make a stencil out of each layer individually (so I can do shadows like you described), all I get is a stencil of exactly the lines I drew, which doesn't allow me to add any paint except to the lines themselves.
    Any advice or even a simple method would be greatly appreciated.
    And sorry if this is the wrong way to post.
    , Danny