ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Bob Ross

Bob Ross

Ok, don't laugh at my question (if you can help it)...

Say I wanted to do a Bob Ross technique. Where I would put down some magic white (I assume is a thin coat of white), and then put down some blue. I then would take a dry brush and blend it for a sky.
    Is this possible with Artrage?
    I don't see an option for a dry brush without any paint.

I'm not an expert and I'm sure there are others who will give you better advice, but you can change the settings for brushes (ie. turn the loading down to zero and experiment with the thinner and pressure setting) to create a blending brush.
    Best wishes

THis has been discussed before, I suggest yo do a search on this forum for "Bob Ross", you should come up with even a pre-made canvas for this purpose.

have fun !
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Bob Ross canvases

Hi syd, I truly don't know whether these still work

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ob+Ross+canvas

I think honestly that it's not possible to imitate Bob Ross's paints with Artrage.
    The whole system is based on a perfect paint, Bob used a modified version. Still have some, somewhere.

You can't pick up paint with the Palette knife, but you can fiddle with brush settings and get something like it.

All of his teaching holds good though, and with a lot of experimenting, you can get close.

There's one in my Gallery, partly done with Artrage.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/User/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

I attempted to recreate one of his paintings, and I think it came out ok for a first try. I started with the sky and worked my way closer using the layers. For the sky I put down some white in the areas I wanted clouds. Then I put down some blue. I then used the palette knife/wet to blend the sky. Then I used the pallet knife blur to finish it. Next I used the airbrush to make the clouds on a new layer.

The mountains I just used a dark color for the base using a round brush. Then white and blue for the snow. I probably should have left it alone, but instead I used the pallet knife again.

I wished AR had was a 'mirror' image feature so I could use it for the reflection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_BobRoss_1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	49714  
    Last edited by SydTheCat; 10-30-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Hi Syd,

I did manage the "mirror" effect by Exporting the whole pic as a layer and then re-importing it as a Layer. You can then Transform it upside down and Crop it, I think! It was some time ago.

If all else fails, do a rough reflect, scuff it up artistically and tell yourself it was a windy day.

Some people get a little snooty about Bob Ross but he was a great, great teacher! He got thousands of people into, or back into painting. I have a DVD of his main methods.

I also still find myself putting in "places for little critters".

Nice to share him with you.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.