ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Italian Born, Father of Thailand's Modern Arts, portrait # 10

Italian Born, Father of Thailand's Modern Arts, portrait # 10

Hi,
    A great Italian born man is known as “The Father of Modern Arts of Thailand”.
    Professor Silpa Phirasir’s Italian name was CORRADO FEROCI. He was born on 1882, at San Goivanni, Florence, Italy.

In 1923 he went to Thailand and was hired as a sculptor at the Department of Fine Arts, under a three- year contract with a salary of 800 baht a month. He was sponsored by the Best Bangkok Artist at that time, Prince Phraya Narisrara Nuwathiwong

In 1926, he served under an unlimited contract as a teacher of sculpture at the Art Department of the Royal Institute with a salary of 900 baht.

In 1928 he inspected the damage of Phra Buddha Trai Rattananayok, Wat Phanan Choeng, Ayuthaya.

In 1929 He modeled the statue of King Rama I the great.

He was the man who did not just want to work on the arts by himself, he wanted to teach the young locals the knowledge. Finally a school of fine arts was created by him, and then it became “The University of Silpakorn” in 1937, the only Fine Arts university of Thailand.

Professor Silpa Phirasir was best known for his generosity and dedication to his students. Spent all the time in school, paid for their supplies and took them on trips. So many students of his wrote about him saying just about the same things, such as “I couldn’t buy any supply, he bought them for me.”. “My arts were unusual at that time, the Ajarn Farang (the name they called him) told me that it was ok, he saved me!” “There were times that I was going to quit, he stayed with me.” “Believe us, there was no student in Silpakorn University who didn’t know the Ajarn Farang.”

There are many important works in Thailand such as Democracy Monument, the Monument of King Naresuan the Great later erected at Don Chedi, Supanburi in 1956, King Taksin Monument, Heroine Toa Surani Monument, etc.

He married a Thai woman who was 50 years younger in 1959. He died of intestinal cancer at the age 69 in May 1963 serving Thailand faithfully for 38 years and 4 months. One of his old students wrote that he was working all day and to the hospital for a check up in the afternoon and died there.

Nowadays, on the 15th of September , it is dedicated as “The Silpa Phirasri Day”.

He sure was a benevolent and generous man who gave everything he had to Thailand and the Thais are grateful.

It is done in oil, sticker for the stars. Any comments and advice are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

One of very important works. Democracy Monument.

Fine painting, but, is my math correct? - At age 65, he married a 15 year old girl?
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Hi,

The story of hers stated that she was 50 years younger when married. Here is his work of his wife.

What an interesting and uplifting story, Jasmine...so good to hear about such people... not too many of them nowdays....

and your work, lovely, colors vibrant and sweet... one thing... those stars... look at them...what do you think?

And she, her wife, she was so pretty and sweet...very nice sculpture of her...

Your portraits are coming along really well. His face is nice and detailed.

This is a very interesting man.

You did very well on this portrait Jasmine.

I had not heard of him before.
    what I found out:
    Silpa Bhirasri was born in 1892. Malinee Kenny (Bhirasri) was born in 1930.
    So he would have been 38 years her senior when they married. She would have been 29 years old at the time they eventually married. He died 4 years later. I think they met at a boarding house in the nineteen forties though at which time he was still officially married and she would have been a teenager and he in his mid fifties. She must have been very beautiful from the looks of her sculpted bust. She was half Thai and half caucasian as her Dad was caucasian and her mom was Thai. She lived the remainder of her life in Italy where she remarried. She died in 2008 at the age of 78.

Amen!
    According to the numbers provided, he married his wife at 27.
    Not that stunning for a good old time Italian Latin lover .....

Dear Jasmine, You correctly painted him in a typical sculture pose with an impressive insightful capability.
    Each of Your artpiece carries a very interesting story with them.
    I think You would be also a wonderful grandma for this reason too (unless You already are, even You're still a little young for this purpose in our age).
    This is a moving and edifying tribute to one of the great men and women we too often feel are past times exemples. The truth is that we are living more and more individualistically and under a sort of fear regime where we try to protect our lives as if we had to live forever and we neglige to exploit it to pursue a really valuable wealth, which always comes from persons we have all around and meet. Too often we hardly realize how rich, enabling and self-rewarding is to work with passion and for free to follow our wishes, but meeting and fulfilling other people ones too, caring of the ones we have around, feeling the responsibilty that the gifts we received can be fully enjoyed if they become also an opportunity to give.

I found a portrait of him on our Italian wikipedia where he's celebrated too according to what Jasmine wrote. Here it is. I added also a sculpture in Porto Ferraio, Elba Island, Italy as a memorial of the WW I fallen.
    Last edited by Caesar; 10-26-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

A lovely portrait dear Jasmine
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Hi friends,

So glad that I have more information of the wife, thanks so much gzairborne. The pages I looked up were in Thai and only 2 bothered to mentioned her. I noticed her last name was written in Thai as Kenny so I figured she was Thai-Caucasian which there were many those days (these days too for that matter). There was no birth date of hers just that she was 50 years younger. Actually I felt better that he was not a "dirty old man".

At-TA - Sweet, you must come out and tell me about those stars, don't worry about offending me, I appreciate any suggestions. I chose them simply to say he is amongst the stars as the Thais would say.

Caesar - I am a grandmother of 3 granchildren and they live far away (which is better for me) for I don't like being around children more than an hour at a time. I accept what I am but I try to spend quality time when I see them.

Magen - Thanks for the kind words.

Barn. - I am so glad that we have more information.

Manafig, thanks to you too dear sweet lady.

Attached are 1. His statue in front of Silpakorn University (University of fine arts).
    2. Him and his wife - the pictures were pasted together, not actually was taken together.